Sump Advice

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening! I am currently creating my sump setup for my 90 gal tank. I have a 36 gal w/ a canister but this is my first time using a sump. Here is what I am thinking. Suggestions please!!

Overflow goes into filter sock, then in-sump protein skimmer, porous live rocks, bubble trap, return chamber w/ heater, UV sterilizer and return pump. Do I need more, less, or just right?? Thank you!!

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds ok to me. Lots of ways to set it up, I had little knowledge when I built mine... Looked at some pro sumps (Trigger, etc) and went from there. I've made some mods along the way. Good luck!

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't run a UV but added one due to dino outbreak. It worked and the tank is ridiculously clear now. I was worried it might reduce pod population but my Mandarin is far as ever. I wouldn't rely on it for disease control... Lots of threads about UV, suggest reading!

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't run a UV but added one due to dino outbreak. It worked and the tank is ridiculously clear now. I was worried it might reduce pod population but my Mandarin is far as ever. I wouldn't rely on it for disease control... Lots of threads about UV, suggest reading!
Thanks! I have one for my freshwater tank due to a horrible algae bloom I had and the tank is crystal clear so I am a firm believer in them, but wasn't sure about saltwater and if it would kill too much beneficial bacteria. Was thinking about running it 50% of the time. Turning on when lights on and off when lights out or something.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the heater into the first chamber with the socks and skimmer. Make sure that you can take the socks out easily and have a way to control the noise in case you don't like them - they are not loved by all. UV is a personal choice - i have not run one in decades, but might if I needed it and you can just get one to sit off to the side. You don't need live rock in the sump if you have plenty in the display. Don't skimp on space for a skimmer - you might want a larger one some day. Lastly, make sure that you keep a nice open spot for a ATO sensor that is in the front where you can see everything and have good access.

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the heater into the first chamber with the socks and skimmer. Make sure that you can take the socks out easily and have a way to control the noise in case you don't like them - they are not loved by all. UV is a personal choice - i have not run one in decades, but might if I needed it and you can just get one to sit off to the side. You don't need live rock in the sump if you have plenty in the display. Don't skimp on space for a skimmer - you might want a larger one some day. Lastly, make sure that you keep a nice open spot for a ATO sensor that is in the front where you can see everything and have good access.
I do not have an ATO, is it required?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but you might want one some day. If you are going to manually fill, then make that last chamber as large as possible to hold more water.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back