sump and filter floss

NeedAReef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2021
Messages
582
Reaction score
565
Location
Mesa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a typical 3 chamber sump in my 70g frag tank and it is about 30 gal.
1st is return from tank with skimmer and it skims some nasty stuff but happy it does.
2nd is fuge with a light and some macro algae of different varieties.
3rd is the return
the chambers overflow one to the other as usual.
so, early on when I started it about 3 months ago I had filter floss between 1 and 2 as well as between 2 and 3
then, as time went on i went to floss between 1 and 2 but not between 2 and 3 (thinking i wanted pods to flow over and back to the display
now am wondering do i put the filter floss at all? isn't the point of the fuge to work with the stuff coming into it right? am I robbing it of the things it needs to do its job?
should I keep some floss between the fuge and the return until such time as i see an over population of pods? I see some in there now but, it doesn't look like a reef stew if you know what i mean.
 
you don't have to run filter floss I run it occasionally just to polish my water and make it clear.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new