Sump and refugium size question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to go full triton on my 90g tank and I'm looking into the Trigger triton sumps. I could squeeze the 44 into my stand and would definitely appreciate the larger refugium but may have to get creative to find a way to house the rest of my equipment. The 34 is a good fit but will I be upset with only having a 10% fuge? I know myself so the tank will definitely be stocked heavily with fish.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the biggest you can fit. I've redid all of my sump 3 times as a result of trying to skimp on size. There is no such thing as too big of sump, especially when trying to eliminate water changes. When you say 90 and heavily stocked 10% is too small. I have a 70 gal sump on my 90. And a 70 sump on my 70 display. Both triton. Neither are too big.

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the biggest you can fit. I've redid all of my sump 3 times as a result of trying to skimp on size. There is no such thing as too big of sump, especially when trying to eliminate water changes. When you say 90 and heavily stocked 10% is too small. I have a 70 gal sump on my 90. And a 70 sump on my 70 display. Both triton. Neither are too big.
Thanks for the info, I'm seriously reconsidering my options. I measured and I can't squeeze the 44 in the stand and plumbing a remote sump is out of the question. I thought about the 10% and possibly adding a cheato reactor out to help but I'm not sure how the competing algae beds would work.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about using a glass tank that will fit and converting it so a fuge/sump? Maybe custom made. That way not only will it save you a lot of money but you can properly utilize space?

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with a custom sump from Zen Reef, going to squeeze out about 20g of fuge space so this should be fun :) I overdesigned the sump with some extra bulkheads to connect a small frag tank in the future but I can't wait to get it in and start a build thread for my first time trying both Triton and GHL equipment! Now I just need to figure out which fuge light to go with.

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil 380 if you can swing it.

I'm torn between the Kessil 380 and the xr15 pro FW. I like the idea of a "display" fuge and the 6500k look from the xr15 would be better in that sense but I'm also not sure how display worthy the fuge portion will be with the method of just letting it naturally do it's thing. I've had a h380 before and they grow cheato like a boss but what about other species since Triton suggests a mixed algae bed?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm torn between the Kessil 380 and the xr15 pro FW. I like the idea of a "display" fuge and the 6500k look from the xr15 would be better in that sense but I'm also not sure how display worthy the fuge portion will be with the method of just letting it naturally do it's thing. I've had a h380 before and they grow cheato like a boss but what about other species since Triton suggests a mixed algae bed?
It's the correct spectrum for growing algae, not just chaeto. But it's not like the other light won't work. If you are a bit cramped for space as far as sump volume, you need to make the most out of your nutrient reduction method. On my highest nutrient system I run a 50% fuge and a kessil. On my other triton system where I'm dosing nutrients I run a cheaper led fuge light. It's not important to me since I don't need a lot of macro. In fact I keep it harvested so it doesn't suck my tank dry. But it's up to you. There's more then one way to do it for sure.

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar question on Triton fuge size. I have a 75G DT with the 30G Trigger sump. The sump fuge area is 9.5x13.5 x 15(H), but the baffles walls on each side of the fuge area don't reach the top of the sump so in reality the height is more like 12" or 13". I could extend the walls of the fuge to go up 14 1/2" and if I did the fuge area would hold about 8 gallons. Ok, that meets the "10%" Triton recommendation, but is that really enough? Also, is the 10% recc based on the DT size or the entire system (DT plus sump)? If it is system, then my idea above will not work.

Thoughts?

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could but I am short on room space. I would have gone with a 90 or 125G tank but no space. Another concern is that my skimmer comes before my fuge and according to Triton its supposed to come after. If the Triton 34 will fit, I may go with that in the future.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back