Sump Baffle Filter Cleaning

Pêcheur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some guidance on what to do with the open cell filter in my sump baffle. Is is supposed to be cleaned and if so how? Attached is a photo of what I’m referring to in case my description is not clear. I believe the intent of this filter is mainly to capture and reduce transfer of micro bubbles from the skimmer to the main display.

It’s become discolored and is now a brownish color like a dirty filter sock. Should I be cleaning this regularly and if so how?

F0ADB464-FFF6-4FED-9994-B243FABB96F9.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some guidance on what to do with the open cell filter in my sump baffle. Is is supposed to be cleaned and if so how? Attached is a photo of what I’m referring to in case my description is not clear. I believe the intent of this filter is mainly to capture and reduce transfer of micro bubbles from the skimmer to the main display.

It’s become discolored and is now a brownish color like a dirty filter sock. Should I be cleaning this regularly and if so how?

F0ADB464-FFF6-4FED-9994-B243FABB96F9.jpeg
It will need to be cleaned from time to time, as it will catch detritus and other things. A simple good rinse in the sink and then a good wringing out will be fine. If this is not done, it can become a nitrate factory.

OP
OP
Pêcheur

Pêcheur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will need to be cleaned from time to time, as it will catch detritus and other things. A simple good rinse in the sink and then a good wringing out will be fine. If this is not done, it can become a nitrate factory.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to check when I get home, but the structure is pretty stiff; not sure I can effectively wring it out.

I have some Sicce Pump clean, would that be effective?

How often should it be cleaned?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to check when I get home, but the structure is pretty stiff; not sure I can effectively wring it out.

I have some Sicce Pump clean, would that be effective?
If you have a garden hose, just spray out with that and then shake the sponge really good. Same principle. You just want to get as much tap water out as possible. No need to get it all, just the majority of it. A little bit left will not hurt a thing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back