Sump baffles

mr_bigl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am redoing my sump and I wanted input regarding my drawing. It's not to scale but I was wondering if anyone can foresee any issues with just using the 2 pieces for the baffle instead of 3 for the drain/skimmer section to the return area?

reze3ahy.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't have any issues with using just 2 baffles instead of 3. How are you planning on getting the water to the Fuge? Another overflow?

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're good!

I actaully have no bubble trap on my sump and I get no bubbles back in the DT. The biggest bubble maker in my sump is when the water cascades over the baffles into the return section, I get bubble formation. However, they immediately float up and never get to the return pump.

EDIT TO ADD:

Here’s a picture of my bubble-trap free sump. Similar to your design….sock and skimmer on the left, refugium on the right, return section in the middle (with a bio-reactor that feeds back to the skimmer.) Oh, and it's a 40 Breeder.

acd69baa-cf63-4ea0-8a0c-4d921b6148c3_zps53624d6a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mr_bigl

mr_bigl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't leave much room if you shut off he return pump. I plan to drill the fuge glass install a bulkhead and run a pipe to the return area to reduce the waterfall

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't leave much room if you shut off he return pump........

I get this every time I post a picture of my sump. I have siphon breaks and very little water comes back into the sump....it was calculated. The water goes no higher than the baffle height.

OP
OP
mr_bigl

mr_bigl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for discussion sake. What happens if the siphon breaks all happen to clog with salt creep?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for discussion sake. What happens if the siphon breaks all happen to clog with salt creep?

I’d hope to have won the lottery by then, because I think the odds would be in my favor. I have 11 (that’s eleven) breaks. So I think the odds of all eleven clogging are pretty slim.

OP
OP
mr_bigl

mr_bigl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d hope to have won the lottery by then, because I think the odds would be in my favor. I have 11 (that’s eleven) breaks. So I think the odds of all eleven clogging are pretty slim.

This is very true. I was just trying to spark dialogue so others who are in the planning stages think it all the way through. My current tank only has 4 breaks. with 2 for the 4 return nozzles right at water level.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah closer to water level the better as long as its not causing micro bubbles. My tank doesn't drain too much either when i kill the return. Only about an inch.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back