Sump drain plumbing problem… need advice

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in the process of getting everything bought and built and set up for my 310 gallon build and I just ran into a big snag in my planning tonight that I need help/advice with regarding my drain lines for my plumbing to my sump from my tank.

So the 310g tank and stand once finished will be up against the wall and the IceCap 48XL sump will be in the laundry/storage room behind the wall but a little farther down from the tank due to location of furnace and dryer. But the total length of the drain line plumbing from the bottom of the tank where the bulkheads will be to my sump is only roughly 6 feet that the water will have to travel. But here is my problem I just realized tonight…

The height that my plumbing lines will be going out from the stand through the wall towards the sump is roughly 21 inches. My sump is 16 inches tall. I really wanted to build a stand to elevate it off the ground “AT LEAST” a foot to make maintenance in the sump a little easier instead of bending over so much. But if I were to elevate the sump off the ground any more than 2 inches, the drain plumbing will then have a small uphill run to it to get up and into the two drain holes in the sump.

Am I going to run into issues with this? Should I just take my losses and put the sump pretty much on the ground so there won’t be any uphill portion of the drain plumbing? If i can elevate it, how high do you suppose I could elevate it without causing an issue?
Any and all help with this is hugely appreciated as I’m getting so close to being able to really start putting things together with this setup

Return pump is a Maxspect MJ-DC12K
Skimmer is a Reef Octo Regal 250-Int with VarioS 6-S pump
Drain plumbing would be 1-1/2”

98123BCB-C0C3-46CF-951B-AC1879820968.jpeg EA6CFE07-52AA-4A63-8E59-0A6CC1E28A0D.jpeg

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main worry would be with accumulating debris in the low portion of the drain plumbing. Eventually this could restrict or even block your drain. Personally I would just put the sump on the floor.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main worry would be with accumulating debris in the low portion of the drain plumbing. Eventually this could restrict or even block your drain. Personally I would just put the sump on the floor.
That was one of my worries as well. Wasn’t sure if I just raised it slightly if it would be an issue or if there was a way to help prevent that issue if I did raise it some. But like you said, I may end up just biting the bullet and just putting it on the floor even though I was really never wanting to do that. Wish I would have thought of this sooner

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back