Sump equipment recommendations

abagail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I have had my tank up and running for a year and a half now and im finally deciding I want to dip my toes in the water of upgrading the equipment for my sump. For context I bought this tank used and the guy didnt give a ton of information on anything besides how to filter and such. I have already decided im getting new bio balls because he had a giant bag of those and what im assuming is crushed coral (??) mixed into it and it is by far the biggest pain to clean as it weighs a ton. With that being said I am going to attach a photo of what the setup looks like now (its dirty I know). All suggestions of things I should add / change are welcome. Also feel free to explain why I should add / or change said things :) thank you!

EA35E43D-FE80-45C4-915F-DCF6170806C3.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I got the tank off of said he had it running for 8 or 9 years I believe so who knows really how long the UV sterilizer has been in use.
I dont run UV but i think the bulbs need to be changed out about every year, so i dont know if it is doing much if it hasnt been changed

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is literally just bio balls mixed with crushed coral
That is a nitrate factory, I would dispose of all of it especially if you have a good amount of live rock and sand in the display. You could pull the whole sump out for a couple of days (as long as you have good water flow inside of the display) and silicone some baffles in place. Super cheap and pretty easy to do. There is also the option of buying a new sump like those from trigger systems or bashsea. Sumps with baffles are pretty much a necessity for a protein skimmer unless you have a very good ato that keeps the level absolutely stable in the sump (most will fluctuate a bit). If you want a refugium you will need something to block the macroalgae from going into the return pump.

If you want to do an easy mod and just add in a refugium you can use a hang on filter sock holder (linked below ) and lifeguard progressive filter mesh as a false wall/screen to make sure the pumps dont get clogged

Amazon product

Upvote 0
OP
OP
abagail

abagail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nitrate factory, I would dispose of all of it especially if you have a good amount of live rock and sand in the display. You could pull the whole sump out for a couple of days (as long as you have good water flow inside of the display) and silicone some baffles in place. Super cheap and pretty easy to do. There is also the option of buying a new sump like those from trigger systems or bashsea. Sumps with baffles are pretty much a necessity for a protein skimmer unless you have a very good ato that keeps the level absolutely stable in the sump (most will fluctuate a bit). If you want a refugium you will need something to block the macroalgae from going into the return pump.

If you want to do an easy mod and just add in a refugium you can use a hang on filter sock holder (linked below ) and lifeguard progressive filter mesh as a false wall/screen to make sure the pumps dont get clogged

Amazon product

I have no idea why I was so confused what a baffle was, but my sump does have one that is right before you get to the return pump. I really do appreciate the help :) is there a protein skimmer in particular you would recommend? because everyone ive seen talk about them says red sea, but I like getting opinions so its always nice to ask before blowing money on something just because its "better" according to certain people

Upvote 0

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why I was so confused what a baffle was, but my sump does have one that is right before you get to the return pump. I really do appreciate the help :) is there a protein skimmer in particular you would recommend? because everyone ive seen talk about them says red sea, but I like getting opinions so its always nice to ask before blowing money on something just because its "better" according to certain people
As another user said if the UV bulb hasn’t been changed…might as well not run it.

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I got the tank off of said he had it running for 8 or 9 years I believe so who knows really how long the UV sterilizer has been in use. I currently have been doing two small water changes a month that probably add up to about 10% or a little more. Ive had no issues with my parameters luckily since starting up. I just recently (about a month or so ago) added half the rocks I have in there. Do you have any recommendations as for equipment you personally like in terms of the things you suggested?
Skimmer Tunze 9410dc
Media filter Lifegaurd Aquatics
Tunze ATO
Rox Carbon
Phosgaurd Po4 Remover

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why I was so confused what a baffle was, but my sump does have one that is right before you get to the return pump. I really do appreciate the help :) is there a protein skimmer in particular you would recommend?
Awesome, you wont have to change much in the sump. You can just take out the bioball part completely and run the hoses straight into a hang on sock if you want. There are more fancy ones as well to reduce splashing noise like this from fijicube

there are a lot of really good protein skimmers out there and i dont think red sea is bad, just not the best price to performace. I would go deltec or reef octopus for mid end, dc skimmers if you want the extra controllability. Tunze is great if you have room for it. If you wanted an ac pump and a little bit less expensive aquamaxx has a few options with sicce pumps, eshopps is good if you can find a deal (I have found them deeply discounted at times ). There is also much more expensive and overall best build quality like ultra reef and bubble king.
Too many good options out there. What do you want to spend on a skimmer and what footprint are you working with? Also what is the height of the sump baffles?

Upvote 0
Back