Sump flow causing bubbles

  • Thread starter Thread starter reely989
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reely989

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2022
Messages
343
Reaction score
234
Location
Auburn
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I think I've narrowed down my micro bubble issue to sump flow. I'm running a bashsea pro 60 sumps. I've troubleshooted pretty much everything and I'm left with water just moving too fast through the sump. It's around 2000gph. I'm trying to devise a better bubble trap in the last baffle. I have foam there now but I think it's too loose and water is going around it. I'll take some videos and post later. Any advice for getting rid of these things? Any strategic wavemaker placements that would help them get to the surface quicker?
 
Do you run a skimmer? That could be adding to the bubbles as well as the flow.

Also, restricting the drain somewhat to eliminate pulling as much air can help. If there's a gate valve or ball valve, closing it just slightly will create less air trapped in the water from cascading. Just be careful not to restrict it too much or the water level in your tank can start raising.
 
Both @tbrown and @Reefering1 are correct. You are either pulling air into your siphon or are creating the bubbles at the interface from the siphon tube and sump. Address that and you should be good.
And/or the skimmer. Look at the output with a strong flashlight and you will see if the bubbles are coming from there
 
And/or the skimmer. Look at the output with a strong flashlight and you will see if the bubbles are coming from there

I do see some bubbles there. It's a reef octopus 250 INT. Think putting a sock over the outlet would help?
 
You can likely turn down the air and up the water to match the level. It sounds like you have too much air running to get the air where you want in the neck instead of using the water?
 
You can likely turn down the air and up the water to match the level. It sounds like you have too much air running to get the air where you want in the neck instead of using the water?

Maybe so. I'm running an air pump into it for ozone. Maybe I can try it with the pump off. Just not sure it'll be able to pull enough air without a pump. Worth a try I guess.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new