OP
Swbvegas

Swbvegas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 75 gallon ensemble from Petsmart. I bought the Marineland with the full length cabinet where I could fit a sump.

received_5155751034487263.jpeg

This is my 65 gallon we are converting into a reef the day we filled it with water. Goldfish are being upgraded into a 150 gallon stock tank. Not worried about fitting a 30" tank in the 36" stand, but instead I'm worried the stand is too short inside for any equipment to be usable.
20210320_183724.jpg

And my 47 gallon reef in progress (will be filled with rock, sand, and water hopefully this weekend). Will be running a Seachem Tidal75 and no skimmer or refugium. LPS and softie tank with regular water changes. We may add a HOB skimmer and a UV sterilizer down the road, but we will see how things play out. Built the stand to function as shelves for my aquarium books and shells I bring home from school in St Kitts, as well as an end table where my wife and I can set our drinks while we watch the aquariums and TV.
received_4900688023372385.jpeg
See... that first tank is basically what I'm trying to accomplish... without a sump though. Very nice. Been thinking about purchasing another viparspectra for awhile now....

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See... that first tank is basically what I'm trying to accomplish... without a sump though. Very nice. Been thinking about purchasing another viparspectra for awhile now....
Definitely need a sump to do that. I barely maintain my elevated phosphate and nitrate with an oversized skimmer and a refugium on this tank. There are 38 fish that are permanent residents in my 75 gallon (and 2 clowns waiting for the 47 to be finished in one of the mesh boxes hanging inside on the front). And with how much we feed the tank, even with water changes, there is no way you could maintain the water chemistry to keep corals, let alone the 40+ Acroporas and Tridacnid clams in this tank without the sump.

For a 75 gallon, you definitely need two of the 165 watt Viparspectras to properly light it. Heck, I'm using 2 of them on the 47 gallon (36" length) and 2 on the 65 gallon (36" length).

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well essentially I want the smallest... every sump I've seen is from a small peninsula build but I would need something tall. My stand has two cabinets on each side. They are not connected, I would have approx 10inches in length to work with...

This is my setup
Minimum for a 75g would be around 12.5g (1/6), so something like a 24" long

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pics? I'm essentially looking for cost efficiency and something more tall than long..

I'll see if I can find a pic. I'm not home at the moment. I got the fiji 20 or 24 (I think 20) first gen. I use the skimmer section for a refugium and the refugium section for a small reactor and several year old bag of seachem matrix

Abarge16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do two diy 5.5 gallons sumps one for skimmer one for refugium. Not ideal but gets you somewhere

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back