Sump ideas?

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am in the process of setting up a fish tank and I am trying to figure out what I should use for a sump. I currently have a 55 gallon tank and was attempting to use a 20 gallon long for a DIY sump. The issue is that my stand has a base of 11.5 W by 47 L and the 20 long has slightly too much width. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a 10 gallon (leader), two 10 gallon (leader) connected, or a 15 gallon high? I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! So I’m guessing you’re going reef if you’re building a sump. You’ll need room for a skimmer, return pump and sponge section at bare minimum. Get the footprint, measurements of each one. Glass baffles on glass tank is the way to go. Depending how big you go, you may have to install your sump through either the back or from the top before the tank goes on. Good luck.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am in the process of setting up a fish tank and I am trying to figure out what I should use for a sump. I currently have a 55 gallon tank and was attempting to use a 20 gallon long for a DIY sump. The issue is that my stand has a base of 11.5 W by 47 L and the 20 long has slightly too much width. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a 10 gallon (leader), two 10 gallon (leader) connected, or a 15 gallon high? I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
Hard constraints for this one, you could configure something but drilling thin glass i pretty hard (not to skilled in that department. I think i would just go with a narrow already made sump like this one linked below https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/7067/?pcatid=7067

OP
OP
bennycbenny

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! So I’m guessing you’re going reef if you’re building a sump. You’ll need room for a skimmer, return pump and sponge section at bare minimum. Get the footprint, measurements of each one. Glass baffles on glass tank is the way to go. Depending how big you go, you may have to install your sump through either the back or from the top before the tank goes on. Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back