Sump is Foaming - Help Please

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled up my tank and sump with RODI water. I haven’t added any salt mix yet because yesterday I noticed a bleach smell. I did bleach the live rock and let them dry. We don’t have a lot of sun, so the rock dried out in the container that’s were soaked in. Is there an additive I can use to neutralize the bleach, or do I need to start over again and drain the tank? I’m not sure what my process is from here. The DT is not foaming at all, though there is a bleach smell still. I started filling the tank Wednesday and finished Friday.
677E4381-72AA-4EC7-9C4D-F4759A5328A7.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a detergent in the bleach? Unrinsed filter material can make water sudsy. Your best bet is to replace the water and thoroughly rinse the rocks.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a detergent in the bleach? Unrinsed filter material can make water sudsy. Your best bet is to replace the water and thoroughly rinse the rocks.
It was as generic of bleach I could find (no scents or splash less options). Is there a test I can use to confirm what it is? If it’s chlorine won’t a dechlorinator work? I can empty the tank and start over, that would preferably be the last resort.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was as generic of bleach I could find (no scents or splash less options). Is there a test I can use to confirm what it is? If it’s chlorine won’t a dechlorinator work? I can empty the tank and start over, that would preferably be the last resort.
Chlorine does not make water foam but chemicals added to bleach can.

I wonder. If you have a sample of the bleach you used, mix a little with fresh water and shake the mixture vigorously in a capped botyle to see if it foams.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chlorine does not make water foam but chemicals added to bleach can.

I wonder. If you have a sample of the bleach you used, mix a little with fresh water and shake the mixture vigorously in a capped botyle to see if it foams.
That’s a great idea, I’ll try that.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a little searching it looks like the live sand may be the culprit of the foam. I did rinse it with tap water prior to putting in the tank. I have not used the conditioner packets yet as I want to be sure of what’s going on first.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back