Sump is Foaming - Help Please

reeferericb

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2020
Messages
309
Reaction score
187
Location
Hallsville
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled up my tank and sump with RODI water. I haven’t added any salt mix yet because yesterday I noticed a bleach smell. I did bleach the live rock and let them dry. We don’t have a lot of sun, so the rock dried out in the container that’s were soaked in. Is there an additive I can use to neutralize the bleach, or do I need to start over again and drain the tank? I’m not sure what my process is from here. The DT is not foaming at all, though there is a bleach smell still. I started filling the tank Wednesday and finished Friday.
677E4381-72AA-4EC7-9C4D-F4759A5328A7.jpeg
 
Was there a detergent in the bleach? Unrinsed filter material can make water sudsy. Your best bet is to replace the water and thoroughly rinse the rocks.
 
Was there a detergent in the bleach? Unrinsed filter material can make water sudsy. Your best bet is to replace the water and thoroughly rinse the rocks.
It was as generic of bleach I could find (no scents or splash less options). Is there a test I can use to confirm what it is? If it’s chlorine won’t a dechlorinator work? I can empty the tank and start over, that would preferably be the last resort.
 
It was as generic of bleach I could find (no scents or splash less options). Is there a test I can use to confirm what it is? If it’s chlorine won’t a dechlorinator work? I can empty the tank and start over, that would preferably be the last resort.
Chlorine does not make water foam but chemicals added to bleach can.

I wonder. If you have a sample of the bleach you used, mix a little with fresh water and shake the mixture vigorously in a capped botyle to see if it foams.
 
Chlorine does not make water foam but chemicals added to bleach can.

I wonder. If you have a sample of the bleach you used, mix a little with fresh water and shake the mixture vigorously in a capped botyle to see if it foams.
That’s a great idea, I’ll try that.
 
After a little searching it looks like the live sand may be the culprit of the foam. I did rinse it with tap water prior to putting in the tank. I have not used the conditioner packets yet as I want to be sure of what’s going on first.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new