Sump overflow after power outage

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can that only be used on EchoTech products or can you use it for anything? I have a batter air pump I put in the tank to get oxygen, but what I'm worried about is heat. I live in Maine, when power goes out it is usually because of a storm, which means its cold. When I turn my generator off at night the temp in the tank can drop 8 degrees. Everyone was fine, but I don't want to risk it. This storm was in April so temps were in the 30+ range, in January we are negative numbers.
I think you are going to need a generator for a heater. They consume a lot more power than an mp40.

OP
OP
PoorReefer

PoorReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if other equipment can run off the ecotech backup, but I'm pretty sure that a standard UPS will run a heater, powerhead etc...

OP
OP
PoorReefer

PoorReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I just read the dwest said so, dang there goes my idea
what about a power inverter from my car?

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if other equipment can run off the ecotech backup, but I'm pretty sure that a standard UPS will run a heater, powerhead etc...
it depends on the ups. The bigger they are the longer they last but a heater pulls a lot of power.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you think you have it corrected, definitely do some testing. Pull the plug on the return pump and and verify it is not going to flood again.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I going to buy a UPS (uniterrupted power supply) so that I can add a heater. I think I read the heat loss and oxygen loss are big killers

The UPS don't last very long. Usually don't need to worry about a heater or lights for a temporary out

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and Gentlemen... there is more than one way to skin a cat...

When I build system, I build it with contingencies. Do you build an overflow with one drain? I sure hope not! You build your overflows with a secondary drain in case the primary fails in some fashion so that you don't get overflow out of the tank.

Yes, siphon holes are nice. And they certainly simplify your plumbing.

But the simple fact is that if there was a check valve on the return of the system in question, this thread wouldn't exist.

My point is that the OP has no contingencies for failure in the system. My return employs BOTH a siphon hole AND a check valve. Additionally, my sump has room for an additional 20 gallons if both the siphon hole and the check valve fail.

Yes, check valves need to be cleaned, just like return pumps and protein skimmers. Do we not use these devices because they need to be part of our weekly husbandry? No, it's part of the work we take on when maintaining a reef tank.

Finally, siphon holes fail too. If not maintained, they plug with algae growth.

So in the end, I'd add the check valve. It's an added safety feature and worth the $30.00 to avoid a mess.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When picking a battery backup, there are many variables to consider. The wattage of the heater and the pump should be considered. Also, the number of hours of backup you wish to have.

I have 3 deep cycle marine batteries wired in parallel for emergencies. They are connected to 5000 watt inverter and 110 volt auto transfer switch capable of managing 1800 watts.

Overkill? Yes.

But every device on my tanks is covered for 24 hours. After that, I switch over to my Honda 3000is generator.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UPS don't last very long. Usually don't need to worry about a heater or lights for a temporary out
Agreed, internal circulation pumps are the most important. And to conserve, you could turn those down to 30%. Return pump is probably the next most important depending on what you have in your sump. Skimmer pump not important. Heater not important unless your whole house temp drops below 50 degrees. Lights not important.

OP
OP
PoorReefer

PoorReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a test power outage on my tank after moving the T part of the return spigot at water level and it worked like a charm. My battery backup for MP40 works, and I bought a battery powered air pump for another back-up. Thank you all for the help, I certainly appreciate this community!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, we had hurricane force straight line winds in Kentucky in 2008. My 125 gallon tank was without power for 5 days. I kept everything in my tank alive with battery operated air pumps and some manual stirring every now and then. I was very fortunate this occurred in September so temperatures were not a problem.

OP
OP
PoorReefer

PoorReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I saw the manual ways to keep the tank oxygenated at 230am lol. I also got my first real experience showing the usefulness of backups for backups.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back