Sump plumbing question - noob here

cfendya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm looking for some feedback on how best to setup the plumbing in my sump. I'm fairly new to all this so please go easy :)

Background...
Tank is a Red Sea Max E260 that is setup for under cabinet sump.
Sump is an IceCap 30 (I realize it's probably overkill for my tank but I got a great deal on it) :)
Picture shows bulk head connections with Red Sea plumbing kit dry fitted to see what I'm working with.

Initial thoughts...
The height of the sump is going to make connections challenging
Is it ok to introduce U's within PVC or flexible tubing?
Should I remove the Red Sea gate valve or can I just cut the tubing after the gate valve and run flexible or PVC over to the sump?
Not opposed to using flexible tubing to ease and simplify the hookups if best.

Thanks for any and all suggestions! :)

IMG_20171120_193501.jpg

Last edited:

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one for me because I don't know how easy it is to work with that Red Sea plumbing - but if you can get 90deg elbows in right after the unions you should be able to reach the sock inlets. Gate valve just ends up horizontal.

OP
OP
cfendya

cfendya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on the below plumbing layout? I'll obviously need to cut the red sea plumbing but I'm not opposed to this.

Is it ok that the line running from the gate valve to the sock inlet have minimal slope to it? From my best guess and measuring, it will almost be completely horizontal. Also, would this line need some sort of support?

Red connections are 45 or 90deg connectors and blue are straight. Ball valve connectors exist at top (shown in yellow) :)

IMG_20171120_193501.jpg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put the elbow above the valve so that you don't have to drop so far. Might even get away with two 45s that way. You can also combine 45s for some interestingly adjustable twists:

img_4957-jpg.324235

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Don. Some “street” elbows might help too, to reduce some of the turning lengths. I think you will be really happy with that sump when everything is hooked up. Herbie or BeanAnimal drain is ideal to minimize noise.

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with others -- strongly suggest 45's instead of 90's for flexibility as well as to avoid turbulence and noise.

Great sump - just some work to get in tied in but should be great.

OP
OP
cfendya

cfendya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I'm just not sure I have the room for a 45 on the valve line. I can obviously trash the Red Sea valve and go all custom if you think it's better but was just trying to work with what I had :)

IMG_20171121_100002.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back