Sump Pump running hot

Sharkie556

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2025
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Flagstaff
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm using an Iwaki WMD 30RLT Pump for return on my sump for a 160 gallon tank. The overflow was struggling to keep up, so I used a PVC valve on the return line to slow down how fast my output was. However, I noticed this morning that the metal side of the pump is very, very hot. I'm going to get an exact temperature on it soon, but I expect its probably close to if not over 100 degrees F. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?

Please let me know what you all think!
 
How old is your pump? Maybe replace it before it fails or potentially causes a fire?
 
I was thinking though, 100F is about the same temperature as your hand. Is your measurement accurate?
 
Hi there, thanks for responding! I found out that this pump (iwaki) tend to run pretty hot because they don't use an internal fan. It's got an internal shut off if temperatures get too high and will shut off on its own, so our issue is resolved with it.

Thank you for your help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new