sump pump usage for drains? flooded my basement a tad

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i thought i had it all figured out and things were working well with my mixing/drain station.

this bar sink works off a utility sump pump which has a float in it and then connects to my house drainage system (somewhere just behind that wall). i have my RODI making water into a not picture 2nd brute, and also into the 1st brute for salt mixing. the RODI waste goes down the drain, as does the AWC waste salt water (about 2g a night)

this was all working for about 3 weeks and last night i went downstairs to a soaked carpet just to the left of the bar, i had about 15 gallons of RODI at this point so some amount of 60g of waste water dumped onto the floor (see white arrow) i dont know where it went wrong, i tested the sump drain, and it works (maybe it got stuck?) are these things ok for saltwater? i fear it might be the short 5' max plumbing behind the wall that is messed up and its behind drywall what not, i didnt finish the basement, former owner did.
IMG_5235.jpg

question 2, while i figure out whats wrong i dont want to figure out another location for all this, just slightly to the very right of this bar (see arrow) is 1 of the 2 house sump pumps, i have a very high water table and they run ALL the time, even in heat waves. this particular one is "sealed" with some plywood.
IMG_5236.jpg

i am not too knowledgeable about sump pumps but can i just drill a small hole to fit 2 RODI lines and have my RODI and saltwater waste exit my house directly with no ill effects to the pump?

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About your last paragraph-

Yes- all you need is the applicable sized saddle valve from bulk reef supply, a couple reducers, and a big butt saddle connector from Home Depot that fits your drain. That’s what I did

890512f39bd01c80c1b45dc6b6514887.jpg

Main sewer stack on right -3”
3” to a 2 ” saddle
2” to 1.5 “reducer
Short piece of 1.5” into the angle and pipe go down to my sump ejector

The black saddle is a 1/4” rodi x 1.5” from brs . Black 1/4” line is rodi waste

71a2880de39450f0b1d6d66a600e2c63.png

dd70daabffffc5f04a432bceb355ff76.jpg

Rodi waste (green outline) goes straight to house sewer stack. 25 gallon water change water (yellow -pipe from fishroom) goes to ejector pump under basement sink. These pumps are fine with SW as long as you flush with 5 or so gallons of fresh water to clean the cast iron. I fill the sink with 5 gallon Nd of tap, plug it, do water change then pull the plug to drain the sink and clean the pump.

The red circled pvc is my ejector pulp out up to my stack

I guess you could just drill a couple holes in your waste stack and stuff the 1/4@ lines in, but I’d be worried they would fall out, plus I don’t think having that potential small gap for sewer gas to come through is code. They prefer you to have something designed for the task rather than a hole and some caulk

Last edited:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back