Sump questions...filter sock or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter xmjxflipx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have my overflow near the intake of my protein skimmer. I also put a powerhead in the sump.

I did the exact same thing for about a year when I wasnt running a sock. Found that the maxi-jet 900's I had for my GFO and AC reactors were constantly clogging, and the reactors themselves were getting significant gunked up.

How did you address the issue? or was it just taken for granted that this would happen.
 
How did you address the issue? or was it just taken for granted that this would happen.

Other than my skimmer all my pumps are on the other side of the sump. Then I have a divider for the water to run to my return. Also, in between the skimmer and pumps is my Calc Reactor. You bring a great point and I guess it just depends on placement. If anyone is thinking of removing the sock then I would recommend they make sure they pay attention to any additional pumps.

Another option is to get a filter for your maxi-jet. Most come with a simple plastic filter but you can always put a foam sediment filter on the intake of your pumps.
 
I always go natural and the filter sock will remove the copepods from the system.
An night all the larval activity would be filtered out and that is more important to me.
 
Socks

Glad I use them- No regrets!!
 
I'm lazy, so changing them out often was not working out. Not having gha in the tank is a nice trade off.
 
I have always ran 2 drain lines off my tanks, in sump I run 50/50, 1 into a sock other open into sump, never a problem with pods population etc. To clean socks just rinse in sink, after you get a couple dirty throw them in washer, use 1/2 cup of bleach every 3rd wash and extra rinse cycle. Every couple of months I take a mj1200 with quick connect coupling and tube and suck out build up in sump.
 
Amazing this post went dormant for almost 3yrs without a reply and now look 3 pages. Wonder if op is still on here?
 
Perhaps but the better question is w/o a sock wouldn't they just get gobbled up in the skimmer, or stuck in a media reactor? Think about what a baby snale would do to your skimmer pump.
I setup my fuge after the skimmer section for that reason. I am most concerned with the pods getting to the DT, not from the DT to the sump.
 
Pods won't do anything to the skimmer, besides not all water gets sucked into the skimmer just a fraction of it. So just a fraction of the pods get sucked into a skimmer.
 
I never ran filter socks have been thinking bout it but I decided not to as I pull out anything left in the sump during water change every week. DT is clean and clear tank has been running this way since setup in December 2012.
 
I've always used them. I've heard the arguments against them but here is why I like to use them. Obviously there will always be some level of detritus in the tank. If you have enough flow, it will make it's way into your filtration where you want it to go but some of it will settle in the sump. I find it easier to change and clean filter socks then cleaning my sump. I've always felt that the easier it is to do something, the more likely you are to do it.
 
2nd year without one. Skimmer gets what the spaghetti worms, Mangrove tree & Bugs don't get.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new