Sump Refugium : Baffle kit (ice cap 36) for sump without refug section

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so... I have been thinking of doing the triton method

However, my sump itself does not have a refugium section. I did add a block of marine pure and have macro alge in the same chamber as the skimmer (with a small kessil tuna flora light).

But for the true implementation, I believe i need to load up that area with macro algae.

Essentially, I need a baffle in my sump to make it into an ice cap 36xl.

Are there any kits to put a baffle in an existing sump that only has a skimmer area to divide it?
Or... scrap the sump and buy a "triton" sump with a refugium section?

(Skimmer area is 17.7" x 16.1")

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the Triton method, you will probably need a bigger fuge than you will be able to create in your existing sump. Would it be worth trying anyway? Sure.. you may have to modify the actual method a bit because having a LOT of macro alge is kind of the key to the thing..
Depending on what material your existing sump is made of, adding a baffle is relatively simple... Get some glass or acrylic cut and add where appropriate. Biggest issue is the area where a baffle to be added needs to be dry to have the glue/silicone dry... Unless you have an additional or separate sump, this might not be an option.
I personally have the 36XL and think it's great..

mike321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a baffle kit myself. Both websites I know are out of stock and based out in the UK. I’m thinking about a DIY from Home Depot.

Blackwrench

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an AutoCAD drawing of a baffle kit for the reefer 425 XL, for it to be cut out of 5 mm acrylic or HDPE. I could modify it if you have some dimensions for me. You can then either get it laser cut somewhere or maybe do it yourselves.

See the picture for what it will look like.

UK3UC7N.png

Last edited:

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an AutoCAD drawing of a baffle kit for the reefer 425 XL, for it to be cut out of 5 mm acrylic or HDPE. I could modify it if you have some dimensions for me. You can then either get it laser cut somewhere or maybe do it yourselves.

See the picture for what it will look like.

UK3UC7N.png

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you built this yet? I have the 425xl and have looked everywhere for a baffle kit that will fito_O

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry didnt see the response previous.. yes i would be intetested. I will measure mine up.

Blackwrench

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you built this yet? I have the 425xl and have looked everywhere for a baffle kit that will fito_O

Sorry didnt see the response previous.. yes i would be intetested. I will measure mine up.

I added a pdf file. I can't add the dwg file unfortunately. Maybe I can upload it to a public google docs or something.

Attachments

• Reefer baffle.pdf
    74.6 KB · Views: 134

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back