Sump/rollermat/filter sock design

Yme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just introduced myself as I would really like your input on the sump design of my freshwater tank (introduction)

In fact, I will completely renovate the house next year and that allows a once in a lifetime opportunity to built the tank of my dreams!

As I am from The Netherlands and English is not my native language, please excuse me for not knowing some words and perhaps some cm versus inch issues.

So, I will build an aquarium that in part goes through a wall, approximately 2/3 in the living room and 1/3 in a technical room. I can then enter the tank from both sides, which is very convenient. It also means that I do not want pipes behind the aquarium as I would need to reach over them in order to reach into the aquarium. Thus, I have decided to make an oversized overflow chamber that covers the complete back. Not sure if this is clearly explained, but it means I will have a weir of 50 inch and that all the pvc pipes enter and leave the tank via this oversized overflow chamber. I realize that costs some “depth”, but that is not really an issue for me.

design_piping.jpg

I have several questions, but posting them all at once is simply too much. I will start with the sump design. As I understand, there is a mechanical part and a biological part in the filter system. First, you remove dirt by mechanical filtering and then you have your bio filtration. This makes very much sense: mechanical filtering prevents clogging of your biological filter material.

design_piping5.jpg

Then there 2 ways of mechanical filtration: filter socks and roller mats (In the Netherlands we can buy Theiling and Clarisea). So far so good. As I am a bit lazy, I opt for a roller mat system. And then it becomes more difficult: I am planning to use a bean animal drain as overflow. So three pipes. I have read that people connect the primary drain to the roller mat, but not the secondary drain. For me, this defies the purpose of the idea that mechanical filtration keeps the biological filter material clean. Even if only 5% of the flow goes via the secondary drain, then the biological filter material will still get dirty. To solve this, I could connect the secondary drain to a filter sock, or to another rollermat (yes, I know this overdoing it) (B, second picture).

To make things more complicated, I would not like to be totally dependent on a roller mat in the following situation: once in while (1x-2x per year) I will completely tear the hardscape inside the tank apart and reattach plants to the wood, try a different layout etc etc. The gravel is then severely disturbed: you will not be able to see further than a couple of inch. Now, if all this dirt needs to be cleaned by a roller mat, then I will get poor… Therefore would like in this situation that I can use filter socks, which I can change a couple of times per day. You could achieve this with some valves: you close the valve to the rollermat and open another valve to a filter sock. This explains picture B.

One question I have is how much water WILL pass the rollermat in this setting B. I read that normally the secondary pipe should just be a little trickle of water. But if a rollermat gives too much resistance, then perhaps much more water goes via the secondary drain. Which then basically means I should connect a second rollermat to the secondary pipe, as I would not like to clean filtersocks every week.

Although B should work, I wondered whether it is possible to first filter the water with filter socks and then by a rollermat. This idea is picture A. As it is, I do not think it is working as displayed, but I would really like to know whether a filter sock followed by a rollermat is even possible. Again, normally, the filter socks will not even be in the sump. They will only be inserted when I will disturb the gravel.

There is also another general restriction: as it will be a planted tank I will add CO2. This means that there should not be to much splashing and mixing of water and air as it will degass the CO2 from the water.

So picture A. To see whether this is possible at all, I probably need to provide more specifics. I would love to have two return pumps, but as all rollermats can not really handle much flow, I think a single pump is the better choice if I want ALL water running through the rollermat (and not have a bypass). Therefore, I think the Red dragon mini speedy 3 is the best choice. 1.321 gallons/hour. I will use 40 mm PVC tubing. I think that convers to 1.5 inch. This size tube can handle 2100 gallons/hour by gravity. So these pipes can easily handle the flow from the pump. But if I then look at the rollermats, the best suitable rollermat seems the Clarisea SK5000, which can maximally handle 1320 gallons/hour. And even then.... there is a nice picture that shows that at this flow rate you really quickly need a new piece of filter. A flow of 528 gallons per hour (2000 liter/hour) seems much more efficient (for your wallet). As the red dragon can minimally pump around 400 gallon/hour (1500 liter/hour), I think that the red dragon mini speedy 3, 40 mm PVC tubes and the Clarisea SK5000 are well suited to work together. Especially now that the new clarisea gen3 has an adapter for 40 mm.

All right, then back to picture A. If I place the rollermat in a second compartment of the sump, then I am totally dependent on how easily water can pass a clean filter fleece. Water always goes the easiest way, so perhaps water does not even enter the rollermat, but goes around it. In picture A, I put a pvc pipe from the rollermat to the first compartment. The good thing about it is that the water level in the filter socks is relatively high. And therefore CO2 degassing is limited. But of course, this will not be a closed siphon full of water and can probably not handle the required flow. I could place the PVC tube lower, but even then I am unsure what will happen: does the pipe drain easily, and thus lower the waterlevel in the filtersock compartment (more CO2 degassing) or is the flow so low that only a part of the water goes into the rollermat?

This is the point where I am know concerning the sump. Sorry for the very long post, but I hope you can give me some advice!

Thanks!

Yme

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like "A" design better for the reason you could put other filter media in the place of the filters socks. One improvement would make that first section small so nothing get trap there due to the high water flow. Like this sump input design attached.

This is a saltwater forum, so it is likely why you didn't get many replies.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210828-195913_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210828-195913_Gallery.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20210828-200235_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210828-200235_Gallery.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
Y

Yme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I am happy with every reply/suggestion! So thanks!

I found another mat roller: the dreambox compact from Royal exclusiv.
The great feature for me is that it has three extra inlets of 40 mm. I could use those inlets to make sure that the inlet diameter is not the limiting factor for entrance into the roller mat. I was not sure about that with the Clarisia, which has one tube with a kind of grid opening.
I am still unsure whether the gravity is sufficient to allow passing of the water through the fleece, or whether the water would still not enter the rollermat.

I made then the following design:

51409928192_f640794dff_h.jpg

I drew the waterlevel at the filtersock compartment higher than the rollermat compartment, as I expect that the fleece will cause resistance for the water to enter the rollermat (if it enters at all).

Would this work?

Yme

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Y

Yme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow!

I spent hours searching the internet and had not found this filter!
Seems great! In fact, I would really like a fleece filter that has less height than the dreambox compact. (39 cm excluding fleece). This filter states 30 cm including fleece, so that would be great!
I however do not understand how the minimal height for fleece change is 38 cm.

One main problem I see is the combination with a bean animal system, where I want the fleece filter in the second compartment. This filter has the water entering from the top, whereas the dreambox has the water entering from the bottom. The inlet of the Pearl Eco Vlies is above the emergency overflow. So I think that water will only enter the filter when there is a full siphon. Could that be solved by placing a small vent to remove the air from the inlet?

anyhow: thanks for the suggestion! Very interesting!

Yme

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow!

I spent hours searching the internet and had not found this filter!
Seems great! In fact, I would really like a fleece filter that has less height than the dreambox compact. (39 cm excluding fleece). This filter states 30 cm including fleece, so that would be great!
I however do not understand how the minimal height for fleece change is 38 cm.

One main problem I see is the combination with a bean animal system, where I want the fleece filter in the second compartment. This filter has the water entering from the top, whereas the dreambox has the water entering from the bottom. The inlet of the Pearl Eco Vlies is above the emergency overflow. So I think that water will only enter the filter when there is a full siphon. Could that be solved by placing a small vent to remove the air from the inlet?

anyhow: thanks for the suggestion! Very interesting!

Yme

OP
OP
Y

Yme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes :)
and I read the German website, watched some youtube movies, but I still do not the 38 cm, versus the total 30 cm height...

Yme

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you know your system best.
Just thought it could be a viable alternative since it's a European part.

OP
OP
Y

Yme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Pearl.
The answer was very easy: you need a height of 38 cm if you want to replace a dirty fleece roll for a complete new one. I understood that you needed a height of 38 cm to turn on the float switch and start the rolling of the fleece.

As far as I now understand it, it is a very nice design for a bean animal setup: if you buy the large filter, then you can put both the primary and secondary drain into the pearl filter!

Yme

Tiunkabouter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post got deleted for some reason..
But I’m currently designing an acrylic sump based on the theiling rollermat system.
I also run a planted tank with sump and co2 injection so feel free to ask me anything

OP
OP
Y

Yme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is great to know!
You are Tuinkabouter from aquaforum?

I also looked into the Theiling rollermat, but I think I then need two rollermats :)

Would be nice if we could figure out a nice freshwater rollermat sump design! Perhaps by PB/email?

Yme

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just introduced myself as I would really like your input on the sump design of my freshwater tank (introduction)

In fact, I will completely renovate the house next year and that allows a once in a lifetime opportunity to built the tank of my dreams!

As I am from The Netherlands and English is not my native language, please excuse me for not knowing some words and perhaps some cm versus inch issues.

So, I will build an aquarium that in part goes through a wall, approximately 2/3 in the living room and 1/3 in a technical room. I can then enter the tank from both sides, which is very convenient. It also means that I do not want pipes behind the aquarium as I would need to reach over them in order to reach into the aquarium. Thus, I have decided to make an oversized overflow chamber that covers the complete back. Not sure if this is clearly explained, but it means I will have a weir of 50 inch and that all the pvc pipes enter and leave the tank via this oversized overflow chamber. I realize that costs some “depth”, but that is not really an issue for me.

design_piping.jpg

I have several questions, but posting them all at once is simply too much. I will start with the sump design. As I understand, there is a mechanical part and a biological part in the filter system. First, you remove dirt by mechanical filtering and then you have your bio filtration. This makes very much sense: mechanical filtering prevents clogging of your biological filter material.

design_piping5.jpg

Then there 2 ways of mechanical filtration: filter socks and roller mats (In the Netherlands we can buy Theiling and Clarisea). So far so good. As I am a bit lazy, I opt for a roller mat system. And then it becomes more difficult: I am planning to use a bean animal drain as overflow. So three pipes. I have read that people connect the primary drain to the roller mat, but not the secondary drain. For me, this defies the purpose of the idea that mechanical filtration keeps the biological filter material clean. Even if only 5% of the flow goes via the secondary drain, then the biological filter material will still get dirty. To solve this, I could connect the secondary drain to a filter sock, or to another rollermat (yes, I know this overdoing it) (B, second picture).

To make things more complicated, I would not like to be totally dependent on a roller mat in the following situation: once in while (1x-2x per year) I will completely tear the hardscape inside the tank apart and reattach plants to the wood, try a different layout etc etc. The gravel is then severely disturbed: you will not be able to see further than a couple of inch. Now, if all this dirt needs to be cleaned by a roller mat, then I will get poor… Therefore would like in this situation that I can use filter socks, which I can change a couple of times per day. You could achieve this with some valves: you close the valve to the rollermat and open another valve to a filter sock. This explains picture B.

One question I have is how much water WILL pass the rollermat in this setting B. I read that normally the secondary pipe should just be a little trickle of water. But if a rollermat gives too much resistance, then perhaps much more water goes via the secondary drain. Which then basically means I should connect a second rollermat to the secondary pipe, as I would not like to clean filtersocks every week.

Although B should work, I wondered whether it is possible to first filter the water with filter socks and then by a rollermat. This idea is picture A. As it is, I do not think it is working as displayed, but I would really like to know whether a filter sock followed by a rollermat is even possible. Again, normally, the filter socks will not even be in the sump. They will only be inserted when I will disturb the gravel.

There is also another general restriction: as it will be a planted tank I will add CO2. This means that there should not be to much splashing and mixing of water and air as it will degass the CO2 from the water.

So picture A. To see whether this is possible at all, I probably need to provide more specifics. I would love to have two return pumps, but as all rollermats can not really handle much flow, I think a single pump is the better choice if I want ALL water running through the rollermat (and not have a bypass). Therefore, I think the Red dragon mini speedy 3 is the best choice. 1.321 gallons/hour. I will use 40 mm PVC tubing. I think that convers to 1.5 inch. This size tube can handle 2100 gallons/hour by gravity. So these pipes can easily handle the flow from the pump. But if I then look at the rollermats, the best suitable rollermat seems the Clarisea SK5000, which can maximally handle 1320 gallons/hour. And even then.... there is a nice picture that shows that at this flow rate you really quickly need a new piece of filter. A flow of 528 gallons per hour (2000 liter/hour) seems much more efficient (for your wallet). As the red dragon can minimally pump around 400 gallon/hour (1500 liter/hour), I think that the red dragon mini speedy 3, 40 mm PVC tubes and the Clarisea SK5000 are well suited to work together. Especially now that the new clarisea gen3 has an adapter for 40 mm.

All right, then back to picture A. If I place the rollermat in a second compartment of the sump, then I am totally dependent on how easily water can pass a clean filter fleece. Water always goes the easiest way, so perhaps water does not even enter the rollermat, but goes around it. In picture A, I put a pvc pipe from the rollermat to the first compartment. The good thing about it is that the water level in the filter socks is relatively high. And therefore CO2 degassing is limited. But of course, this will not be a closed siphon full of water and can probably not handle the required flow. I could place the PVC tube lower, but even then I am unsure what will happen: does the pipe drain easily, and thus lower the waterlevel in the filtersock compartment (more CO2 degassing) or is the flow so low that only a part of the water goes into the rollermat?

This is the point where I am know concerning the sump. Sorry for the very long post, but I hope you can give me some advice!

Thanks!

Yme
I went from bioballs (20 years ago) to filter socks... and more recently to a fleece roller. At this point I would never go back to filter socks. i hated cleaning them, they were expensive to replace (if not cleaned), and more often than not i left them in the tank too long.

if you really must have filter socks, I would put them after your fleece (roller) filter.. that way they dont get clogged as fast and you dont need to change as often. Also, if you, must have socks, look into "reef diaper" .. they are new (amazon) and are disposable (like a coffee filter).. so much better than cleaning socks.

good luck.

Tiunkabouter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is great to know!
You are Tuinkabouter from aquaforum?

I also looked into the Theiling rollermat, but I think I then need two rollermats :)

Would be nice if we could figure out a nice freshwater rollermat sump design! Perhaps by PB/email?

Yme
Correct.
I currently have a design that schould be able to house 2 rollermats inside of the sump.
So you can fit 2 or maybe more SK5000 inside the sump.

as of now I’m designing the sump with the rollermat(s) outside of the sump so it’s easier to put everything together

Tiunkabouter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here you go.
Do note the first baffle has a design flaw in this picture, the valves are sitting to low
6217EEAC-9CF6-445F-8D38-FFE3EA3851FA.jpeg

It should be able to fit 2 rollermats in the big compartment.
2nd compartment is movingbed designed for K1 and K1 micro, but should also be able to be used as refugium with chaeto.
3rd compartment is for static media or protein skimmer
the last compartment is for the pumps.
As you can see I fitted valves to control the water level.

the sump is 120cm long, 50cm wide and 45cm high.
In the bottom is an intergrated cooling for hot summers.
It is designed for my tank which is roughly 900L (200x70x70cm)

OP
OP
Y

Yme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks very nice! Not very sure I understand it completely though...

Below is one of my set-ups that I thought of.

51568097273_d46e886a14_b.jpg

The grey circles are the three drain pipes of the bean animal overflow. I think it is very nice that all three pipes do not have any knees, but go straight down. But I am les sure that the waterflow between the compartments of the sump is optimal.

Yme

Tiunkabouter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but with your tank size you won’t need 2 units..
The rollermat is rated for 500gph, that is almost twice what you need for your planted tank.

i don’t even need 2 units.
I want 2 units because I can, not because I have to.

I currently push about 2500L/H and use 2 random flow generators for optimal distribution.

your picture is pretty clear but I do think you’re making it too complex.
Just one rollermat or SK5000 is enough.
As for your rescape habits, just switch off the unit and do a 100% waterchange to suck out all the dirt and dust and let a powerfilter do the cleanup

OP
OP
Y

Yme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice video! thanks!

I am not sure, but I thought a thumb rule is that the sump should more or less pass 4x the tank in liters per hour. So if the tank is 600 liters, then you need to pass 2400 l/h, which is the max the rollermat can handle. However, I do not wish to run at max capacity, as you use relatively a lot of filter fleece. Clarisea has a nice explanation on their website. So running at 50% capacity seems more suited to me, which then means 2 theiling rollermats :)

Yme

Tiunkabouter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, 1,5x through the sump is enough for freshwater.
With that said, the 4x you’re referring to is filter output which is stated on the box/manual, with media in the filter and headpressure you will lose about half of that flow.
So you have 2x instead of the 4x you thought you had

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back