• Both

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im realizing my sump just cannot fit both my skimmer and a refugium section. What are most people running these days? Ideally I want both but I just won this brand new sump in a raffle and dont feel like selling to get another 4 section sump.

I want to run whatever keeps my aquarium the most clean and healthy. Algae is incredibly unsightly to me.

Like to hear opinions.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure what your budget and space constraints are, but you may want to consider a turf scrubber or algae reactor (with or without using along side of a skimmer).

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll find there's more success stories here with only skimmer than only a refugium. However, that also depends on size of tank - pico/nano can be fine with just water changes. Also what's current tank setup - if you're only running an HOB or canister for example now then take your pick. If you really need pod population - you may also want to go with refugium. If you want to use carbon dosing or biopellets - then you'll need skimmer.

As in all things here...it depends. But in general, I'd recommend skimmer only over refugium only.

OP
OP
LFCBVB

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what your budget and space constraints are, but you may want to consider a turf scrubber or algae reactor (with or without using along side of a skimmer).
I totally forgot about this! This sounds like a wonderful idea!

OP
OP
LFCBVB

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll find there's more success stories here with only skimmer than only a refugium. However, that also depends on size of tank - pico/nano can be fine with just water changes. Also what's current tank setup - if you're only running an HOB or canister for example now then take your pick. If you really need pod population - you may also want to go with refugium. If you want to use carbon dosing or biopellets - then you'll need skimmer.

As in all things here...it depends. But in general, I'd recommend skimmer only over refugium only.
I think If Im going to run the skimmer standalone until I can incorporate an algae scrubber. Definitely my best best

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a filter sock and skimmer in my sumps.
I also have a carx in my 120's sump. Not a fan of fuges or reactors, but they do work for many.
I have no issues with bad algae. I do have some hair algae but my convict tang and lawnmower blenny keep it to levels that I have to look for it to find it.

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a skimmer, socks, and a fuge. I feed pretty heavy and read .03 phos, and 5 nitrates In my 180 mixed. Lots of diff algae in sump but non in display (as of today ;))

OP
OP
LFCBVB

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a skimmer, socks, and a fuge. I feed pretty heavy and read .03 phos, and 5 nitrates In my 180 mixed. Lots of diff algae in sump but non in display (as of today ;))
Really wish I could fit that system in my setup. Sounds wonderful!

OP
OP
LFCBVB

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an opinion on what is more effective? I already have Cheato and a few other Fug items.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for an algae scrubber or chaeto reactor if space is a concern, and budget allows for it. Both grow macro algae in a smaller space than a typical refugium. This way you can keep the skimmer where it is, and add scrubber or reactor above the sump, if u have space..do you have pictures of your stand/sump? This may help others chime in with suggestions. A scrubber grows mainly hair/turf algae, which ime is hardier than chaeto, and based on research reduces no3/po4 more effiently. I just installed a cw-100 scrubber about a month, waiting to see results, and am running a skimmer as well, for now.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have an opinion on what is more effective? I already have Cheato and a few other Fug items.

I have the #reefoctopus light reactor (L-150) because it fits well into my sump (it can be used internally or externally), however without the space constraint I may have gone with the #IceCap algae scrubber (I will probably add this to another system in the future).

OP
OP
LFCBVB

LFCBVB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for an algae scrubber or chaeto reactor if space is a concern, and budget allows for it. Both grow macro algae in a smaller space than a typical refugium. This way you can keep the skimmer where it is, and add scrubber or reactor above the sump, if u have space..do you have pictures of your stand/sump? This may help others chime in with suggestions. A scrubber grows mainly hair/turf algae, which ime is hardier than chaeto, and based on research reduces no3/po4 more effiently. I just installed a scrubber about a month ago, waiting to see results, and am running a skimmer as well, for now.

I have two filter socks that run into the skimmer/Fug section. I have a Octo 110 skimmer that leaves a decent amount of space in section 2. The sump does not take up all the room under my tank, Its 30x20x11. The lower section my tank is roughly 46x 30 x 16

Sump Model 2.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%

Back