Sump theory

Tuaregy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
I have one theory about sump and prevention from flooding.
Here is a picture of sump in theory and im wondering if this could work?
Basically instead of using overflow box i would use empty canister filter for intake to sump. Outtake would be placed into filter sock chamber then to skimmer, pass bubble trap and into return chamber. Once there, there would be 2nd canister filter for outtake and return to main tank.
In case of power failure both filters stop working and with closed system there should not be any sifon (in theory) to flood sump or main tank.

In case of 2nd filter brake intake on 1st is set high enough so that sump could take extra water to prevent flood. If the 1st filter brakes then 2nd would be left out of water but without any flood.
It's just a thought. What do you think.

IMG_20200203_151301.jpg

Nhltc99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two cannisters would never be in sync and putting out the same flow, and you would constantly end up with extra water in either the tank or sump that would need to be manually corrected. Most likely it will all end up in the sump since the first cannister is going to have much less head pressure than the return cannister. I would suggest using an overflow from tank to sump.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) The system you have there is open, no closed. There is nothing preventing the water from flowing through either canister filter when power goes out.

2) Canister filters have very weak pumps. They are not capable of moving water to a different height in any significant volume.

Sorry, but this isn’t going to work as you intend.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's numerous threads on here R2R asking about your same theory and it's been the same answer. The two canister filters will never run the exact same. It's a great theory but in actual practice you'll be constantly fighting & adjusting water levels.

Simplest & most cost effective solution is a decent return pump MATCHED to an overflow (even a good HOB overflow) It'll be one less thing to worry about in your journey to reef keeping.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back