Sump Waterline Stability Issues

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good even my fellow reefers, I need your advice and suggestions. I just recently modified my 120 Gallons to a dual Herbie Overflow. I have achieved complete silence on both main drain standpipes with a small trickle in both emergency standpipes. I currently own a Eshopps ADV 200 Refugium Sump-3rd Generation. The issue now is the return pump (Apex COR 20 running at 40%) chamber waterline is passed the manufacturer stated line, almost double the amount of water that is supposed to be in it; which sets my ATO alarm off constantly. Also, the Skimmer (Skimz SM 161) chamber waterline hovers either at or below the recommended minimum 7 inches of water. I want to raise/increase the water in the Skimmer Chamber, but lower the waterline in the return chamber. How can I achieve this goal? See photos. Your help is greatly appreciated

20191020_223302.jpg 20191020_235058.jpg 20191020_223310.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the return chamber waterline goes, just scoop out some water from your sump and the waterline in the return chamber will lower based on how much water you remove... easy leash! :) With regards to the skimmer chamber, is there an adjustable baffle to allow you to raise and lower the skimmer section waterline, or is it fixed?

*Also, make sure the media tray in the right rear compartment is oriented properly ( should be noted in the owner’s manua). If oriented in the wrong direction, it can block the proper water flow path for that sump, hence the low water level in your skimmer chamber.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the return chamber waterline goes, just scoop out some water from your sump and the waterline in the return chamber will lower based on how much water you remove... easy leash! :) With regards to the skimmer chamber, is there an adjustable baffle to allow you to raise and lower the skimmer section waterline, or is it fixed?

*Also, make sure the media tray in the right rear compartment is oriented properly ( should be noted in the owner’s manua). If oriented in the wrong direction, it can block the proper water flow path for that sump, hence the low water level in your skimmer chamber.
Hey, Good morning, thanks for the response, there are no baffles, all fixed....and I also do not have any media in that area of the sump...

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood about no media back there. However, as I understand it, there is a removable media tray back there, and if it is oriented in the wrong direction, even if empty, it can make the water levels in the various chambers all wonky. Just want to make sure this is not the case and eliminate that variable as we troubleshoot your issue. :)

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I understand. I did not use the tray, I left it empty. Do you think it is because I am using both standpipes in a duel herbie style along with the emergency pipes at a trickle?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having the opposite issue. My Return Pump chamber water level is TOO High, and my Skimmer level Chamber water line is too low...how can I fix that issue...I posted this in detail early this morning. Bottom line I recently converted my 120 standpipe to duel herbie overflow; with both emergency standpipes operating at a trickle flow.
I will answer this question in this thread since it seems to be active
In a normal sump, you have something like this (attached) with a tall first baffle and then as we move down towards the return pump they get shorter and the chambers hold less water.
Sump.jpg

You will need to show me a picture of your sump so we can be on the same page.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will answer this question in this thread since it seems to be active
In a normal sump, you have something like this (attached) with a tall first baffle and then as we move down towards the return pump they get shorter and the chambers hold less water.
Sump.jpg

You will need to show me a picture of your sump so we can be on the same page.
Thanks for the response. I have the EShopps ADV 200 Ref. I have attached two images of the what it looks like from the manufacture. I do not have the media tray in mine.

sump1.jpg sump2.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this video on your sump.... well close as i can find At the 4 min mark he had an issue he was able to fix ...maybe you have this issue?

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this video on your sump.... well close as i can find At the 4 min mark he had an issue he was able to fix ...maybe you have this issue?

Ok, I will put that tray in and see if that makes a difference. I had never used the tray since i purchased the sump 3yrs ago. Actually, I have a smaller pump in that chamber going towards the UV filter. That set-up worked for three years. Let me remove it and put that tray in and see what happens. I thought it was optional to use it. Thanks for the research of this video.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s where I got that tray orientation information from. I helped someone on here using that video several years ago who put the tray in wrong orientation and had issues with water levels as well.

What you use mentioned, I do think the fact that you are diverting water from that section to your Uv sterilizer may have something to do with the water imbalance in your skimmer section. Where does the UV sterilizer “clean water” discharge to?

Anyway, I’m very curious to see how this plays out. Keep us updated. :)

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s where I got that tray orientation information from. I helped someone on here using that video several years ago who put the tray in wrong orientation and had issues with water levels as well.

What you use mentioned, I do think the fact that you are diverting water from that section to your Uv sterilizer may have something to do with the water imbalance in your skimmer section. Where does the UV sterilizer “clean water” discharge to?

The discharge water actually goes right back into the skimmer chamber, but the initial water is coming from the media tray chamber. But I will keep an update on this....

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, I made the adjustment, however the same issue is still there...more water in the return chamber past the manufactures recommended line and less water in the skimmer chamber...

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when you remove say, a pint from your anywhere in your sump? Does the water level in the return section go down? Also, I wouldn’t worry about the manufacturers suggested return chamber waterline. With a big pump like a COR 20, I would keep the waterline higher than suggested to avoid forming any vortices that will suck air Into the pump.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when you remove say, a pint from your anywhere in your sump? Does the water level in the return section go down? Also, I wouldn’t worry about the manufacturers suggested return chamber waterline. With a big pump like a COR 20, I would keep the waterline higher than suggested to avoid forming any vortices that will suck air Into the pump.
Yes, I took about half-gallon last-night from the display tank just to see if it would go down and yes, it does go down in both the skimmer area as well as the return pump section. I also decided last-night to just move the ATO line a little higher and accept the fact more water will be in this chamber with this duel herbie style set-up. Appreciate the response/feedback. I will continue to try areas to see if I can make it work.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back