Sump won’t fit through front of stand

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sump is 20 x 20 x 15, there is a face that is 20 x 15 which is less than 20 x 19.
Well bud, what do you do with the other panel that is also 20" trying to go through a 19" hole? It is 20" X 20" square. It could a 5 inch deep sump and it still wouldn't fit through the front. Pull the tank out and re sump from the back.

Aaron Stone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well bud, what do you do with the other panel that is also 20" trying to go through a 19" hole? It is 20" X 20" square. It could a 5 inch deep sump and it still wouldn't fit through the front. Pull the tank out and re sump from the back.

Well bud, think about it...

jayjigga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it was 5" tall, that might rotate once in. I'm not sure if there's enough clearance to work with being 15" tall, but I'm down with just putting it on its side hehe

Aaron Stone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the only issue is fitting the sump through the cutout, setting aside the possible necessity to rotate the sump once it is inside the stand, then it is a 2-dimensional problem, not 3. So you can pick any two dimensions from the sump that you want, say the side that is 20 x 15, and slide it on through. This does ignore the potential need to flip/rotate it once it is in the stand, but it appears that there may be enough room to do that.

OP
OP
OPhelanK

OPhelanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry the doorway is 19x19... lol I let someone else measure but I just redid it and it’s definitely not 20....

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to remove .5 inches from each side. I would think that would be ok. I would mark and remove carefully with jigsaw or sander. You could the cut new “braces” and replace say .75 wide. If you were careful and matched it would look intended. I would not move stand with loaded tank. That is more likely to cause problem as would stress stand more.
I am completely on board with this. No brainer if it was me and I wouldnt lose any sleep whatsoever over it. Your still left with a 5" corner post and I'm sure the header is more than sufficient to carry an additional 1" of open span.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure but it looks like there is a structural frame then a door along with a door frame (need Better pic's )..IF thats the case you should be able to remove the door and door frame. Check to see if the framing for door
runs all the way to the top and bottom of the stand if it does not then you can temporarily remove or trim. Show MORE BETTER PIC'S...... BTW Beautiful tank and critters, I agree with removing as much water as possible whatever you attempt. Good Luck

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood is extremely strong in axial compression. Removing a total of an inch is not going to cause the stand to fall apart or even to sag. If you needed to cut a horizontal component, then that's a different issue altogether. This looks like no big deal. What's the full width and thickness of the "brace" (it's actually a cabinet stile)? I'm also assuming it's particle board rather than actual wood, correct?

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Bud's for you. Lol... According to a good % of answers here, looks like you drain tank 50% and put sump in from rear or buy a smaller sump.
I know what I said made you want to cry and I'm sorry. I just had to modify my own sump to accommodate a new skimmer. Glass cutter made easy work of it but I have lots of experience and a high quality glass cutter. It's certainly not a job for everyone.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the input. My gut was telling me to move the tank but my husband is/was totally against it. Now to talk him into it.... lol
Been there. Sometimes they are stubborn!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you return the sump and purchase one that fits

+1
My opinion, this got way complicated. It does not fit thru the front. Can it get in thru the back, if you are willing to try. If it can fit, and you are willing to try, the. All is good.

Otherwise, get something that you like that fits. I do not see starting to cut up undamaged items to make something work. (Would most of us start cutting up our countertop or cabinets to fit in a refrigerator that was too big?)

upload_2019-3-16_10-34-32.gif

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing to consider is if the sump needed to be removed at some later date. Personally, I’d just remove 1/2” or so from each side and scab them from behind with additional plywood. Still wise to at least partially drain down the tank though.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would most of us start cutting up our countertop or cabinets to fit in a refrigerator that was too big?

It is funny that you mention that example because I had to cut into an overhead cabinet when I purchased a new refrigerator last year in order to make it fit. The bottom of the cabinet had just a 1/2 inch space over the top of my old fridge that was 15 years old and the new one that I purchased was 2 inches taller. It was a pain in the butt but I had no choice. :mad:

That being said I would not consider cutting into this cabinet and risking its structural integrity. I would definitely drain water and enter through the back or if possible return the sump and buy one that can fit through the front.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back