Sumps that fit a dyi stand

Jreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a aqueon 125 reed ready. Im about to build the stand but wana make sure there is room for a sump. If i build the stand the traditonal diy way, i plan on adding the center brace in the middle on both sides. The stand is 18.5 inches wide, minus 3 inches to account for the bottom frame so that brings it to 15.5 inches wide. The center braces on both side will remove another 3 inches to bring the space in the stand down to 12.5 inches. Every sump i see online is 13 to 16 inches wide. What sump is everyone using in there diy stands when they have a center brace?

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't speak for you but I can suggest something like a 55g long diy sump or 30l or something similar. someone on eBay makes baffle kits

OP
OP
J

Jreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, id love to just buy the stand and it would offer more room but the aqueon pine stand is so crappy lol and its so low. I wana build mine taller

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, id love to just buy the stand and it would offer more room but the aqueon pine stand is so crappy lol and its so low. I wana build mine taller
I think it's well worth it! I inherited an Aqueon stand for my current tank but if I had time to set up it like I would have wanted, I would have built the stand. I was able to fit a 40g breeder under my last DIY stand but I only can fit a 20g in my current aqueon stand.

OP
OP
J

Jreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm gonna build the stand. I'll put two (or three) vertical 2x6's in the back, and then one 2x6 off centered in the front, this way it leaves my a lot of space for the front sump area. I see some 6ft diy stands that don't even have a center brace and there verticles are only 2x4's. So I'm sure having one 2x6 that's off centered in the front shouldn't be an issue. I also realize even our most simplest DIY's stands are extremely overbuilt but as long as it helps us sleep at night and wood is cheap anyway lol.

OP
OP
J

Jreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and what i was talking about in the above about the vertical supports I'm adding, these are all in addition to the standard verticels in the 4 corners

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran into the same problem on my most recent DIY stand for an 18" tank that I built with 2x4. So consider building the stand to accommodate the sump and throw the overhang to the rear.

Something to consider... You could build the stand 20-22" deep and place the 2-4" overhang to the back of the tank. That would give you 16-18" of space underneath.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a different boat. i inherited a 47" x 24" x 16" Advanced Acrylic sump with a 31" tall skimmer that I need to build a Stand for. The DT I inherited is 36" x 24" x 20". I eventually want to get a 60" x 30" x 24" DT.. so I am opting to get a Framing Tech custom stand built out to my specs which will accommodate my sump and my future plan of bigger DT. Currently in the process of working with someone at Framing Tech to design an aluminum stand.

OP
OP
J

Jreefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think its ok to have one 2 x 6 veritixle post off centered in the front to allow space for sump?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have real tools? If so, don't build a 2x4 stand. The entire point of that design is that it can be built without any tools but a miter saw.

The plywood stand designs are stronger, and will give you more space.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my last stand, and built it around the size of my sump. I made sure that I also had room for my electrical box, and ATO tank
It all depends on what you are looking for in a stand and how much room you want to have to work inside the stand once it is all finished.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you decide on the sump you want to get or make before building the stand. It's as much a stand for the sump as it is for the display. And you wouldn't build the stand before knowing the size of the display right?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back