Sun coral appreciation thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redbird5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Redbird5

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
807
Reaction score
449
Location
Metro East St. Louis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How awesome are sun coral!



20260805_202704.jpg
 
I love sun coral!
 
When I researched getting my SC I saw that they need fed often, which I feed mine every day when I feed my fish. They get a portion of food directly twice a day. Its tentacles are always out at night. How often does everyone feed their SC?
 
When I researched getting my SC I saw that they need fed often, which I feed mine every day when I feed my fish. They get a portion of food directly twice a day. Its tentacles are always out at night. How often does everyone feed their SC?
Mine is a branching Dendro and looks a lot like @kevgib67's , but mine is not a Tubastrea. I target feed mine 2x per week using mysis and frozen plankton, and I'm sure it eats daily as I feed the same foods to my fish 2x daily. They are pretty capable feeders right from the water column, even with all the flow on.
1000027282.jpg

I recently moved mine because I believe it was getting stung by the nearby torch, even though the torch is downstream in the flow. I witnessed some occasional torch tentacles "bullwhipping" to the upstream side. The Dendro was not extending as it had been before adding the torch, so I moved it further upstream and above the torch:
1000027579.jpg

1000027598.jpg

It has been timid since the move, but starting to peek out some polyps during feeding time.
 
Mine is a branching Dendro and looks a lot like @kevgib67's , but mine is not a Tubastrea. I target feed mine 2x per week using mysis and frozen plankton, and I'm sure it eats daily as I feed the same foods to my fish 2x daily. They are pretty capable feeders right from the water column, even with all the flow on.
1000027282.jpg

I recently moved mine because I believe it was getting stung by the nearby torch, even though the torch is downstream in the flow. I witnessed some occasional torch tentacles "bullwhipping" to the upstream side. The Dendro was not extending as it had been before adding the torch, so I moved it further upstream and above the torch:
1000027579.jpg

1000027598.jpg

It has been timid since the move, but starting to peek out some polyps during feeding time.
My torch is on a frag rack by himself, no coral anywhere close to him. I see him trying to reach the zoas below him and he can't reach him. Kinda like he's looking for a fight or something.
 
My torch is on a frag rack by himself, no coral anywhere close to him. I see him trying to reach the zoas below him and he can't reach him. Kinda like he's looking for a fight or something.
Torches do seem belligerent.
 
My first tank as a noob, I did great with my sun coral and it would wait for a daily feeding. Tried a frag 2 years ago, and I guess the tank was to young and my attempts to keep it alive, well and fed skyrocketed the nutes, so I moved it to my up and coming softie tank with a lot of filter feeders. Lasted about 3 months as I watched it digress. Going back to that tank I put some in two years ago that had a little colony and removed, I found one a couple weeks ago. Not a clue how it found its way there. Kinda cool, they are beautiful when happy.



IMG_1694.jpeg
 
My first tank as a noob, I did great with my sun coral and it would wait for a daily feeding. Tried a frag 2 years ago, and I guess the tank was to young and my attempts to keep it alive, well and fed skyrocketed the nutes, so I moved it to my up and coming softie tank with a lot of filter feeders. Lasted about 3 months as I watched it digress. Going back to that tank I put some in two years ago that had a little colony and removed, I found one a couple weeks ago. Not a clue how it found its way there. Kinda cool, they are beautiful when happy.



IMG_1694.jpeg
Very unassuming during the day and at night absolutely beautiful.
 
They only open at night correct? I think they’re so pretty!
Mine were wide-open during the day, as this is when they are fed. They can be trained this way.
Edit: I went back to check the time stamp of my first photo. It was taken at 10:05 a.m.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new