Sun coral difficulty

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redbird5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Nope. In my experience dendros and sun coral are relatively tolerant of alk, calc, and mag. I have them in varying flow levels and as long as they're fed (and not overfed) then they do fine.

One thing to watch is they don't like strong light. As long as they're somewhere low in the tank they'll open most of the time. Under an outcropping is preferred so they're open all day
 
Nope. In my experience dendros and sun coral are relatively tolerant of alk, calc, and mag. I have them in varying flow levels and as long as they're fed (and not overfed) then they do fine.

One thing to watch is they don't like strong light. As long as they're somewhere low in the tank they'll open most of the time. Under an outcropping is preferred so they're open all day
Are they expensive? I know my LFS has had a piece of sun coral. My DKH, Calc and MG are stable. I'm looking for interesting coral to add to my tank. From what I understand they eat mysis and other meaty foods right? Do they eat coral food as well?
 
I have some and they will pretty much eat anything, I have them under overhangs and they look good. One strategy I use is when I feed the fish I will use a turkey baster and blast the food in the direction of the tubastreas, that way they get some food and the fish are busy picking all the other stuff floating around, so they don’t really mess with the Coral.
 
The above is good advice. They'll eat anything from meaty foods to plankton. Basting it right at them helps. And no, they're generally not expensive.
 
I think some types are more sensitive. I've tried black sun coral twice and they are much more sensitive. Fathead dendros are cake. I put one in the overflow and it just catches stuff and does fine.
P_20260123_164545.jpg
 
Following this, because I have always wanted some
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new