sun coral sulking

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a sun coral via shipment on Tuesday and its just been sulking the whole time, how long do these guys usually do this in a new tank? I heard puffing coral food over them would bring them out but so far nothing, any input would be greatly appreciated

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sun coral a few years ago and just decided the feeding was too much of a ballache.
To get mine open at first, I think I remember actually taking it out of the tank in a tub of water. with the presence of food (think I used goniopower) and lack of current, it would open and respond.
After about a week, I was just able to target feed it mysis shrimp with a turkey baster from within the tank.
As I say, it ended up being too much work for me.

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just throw frozen food into my tank and it catches it out of the water column for me

but the first two days i just turned off all my pumps and i’d drop pelleted food on it

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have six colonies. All but one took two weeks to open up. Mine seem to like a pretty strong flow. Usually, if you squirt in some liquid food, they open up in a few minutes. Defrosted brine shrimp and mysis are their favorite foods once they extend their polyps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Too much light will send them sulking. They do best in a shaded or darker area of tank under moderate flow

Back