Sunburst Anthias Issue

Combs1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I purchased a Sunburst Anthias about a month ago from an LFS. The anthias has been doing fairly well in my tank for the last month until yesterday morning when I noticed 1 white spot on him but he still ate. But it looked like he spit a lot back out that he tried. I also fed again yesterday evening and though he went after a lot of food he seemed to just mouth a lot of it and spit some out. This morning, he is hiding in the back rock and is usually always swimming with my clown when the lights kick on. I feel this may be a doom day scenario but does anyone have any ideas? Should I try and disturb him from the rock if I get home this evening and he is still hiding. I soaked my LRS in some garlic water i made at home yesterday and today but it won't do any good if he wont come out to eat it. I love these fish but I have always heard how delicate they can be. I'm just surprised he would be doing so well for a month and then all of a sudden start showing signs of stress. My one other fish, an ocellaris clown is doing great. My gut feeling is that it doesn't look good but any insight would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Combs1ng

Combs1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of white spot? Was he QT at all?
So the lfs I got him from says they QT for 2 months and the owner told me they had this anthias for about 2 months. He looked very healthy and swimming around and was healthy in my tank for the last month. He was the first fish in the tank and I only have an ORA bred Ocellaris clown with him. but the clown has been in there for about 3 weeks and has shown no sign of disease.

OP
OP
Combs1ng

Combs1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't even really able to see the spot last night when looking at him. It looked like a small grain of sand stuck to him, but no other areas had it.

OP
OP
Combs1ng

Combs1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had my wife check mid-morning and he is still hiding in the back rock, very still but alive. But he should definitely be out swimming. What can be done at this point?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can actually be pretty shy and skiddish fish and love caves. They also like more shaded areas as they are from deeper waters. Mine always hovered near its cave.

Will he eat if you squirt food to his area?

OP
OP
Combs1ng

Combs1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I know what you mean about loving caves but its a small tank with only 2 fish and he has been in the open water column basically since I've had him. When the lights go off he will dart back to his cave. I added LRS with a few soaked pellets this morning and left one small pump on. Food was swirling around the entire tank but he wouldn't budge from his perch in the back.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mine was in a 25g he never moved from his cave but would grab food that came by him.

Can you not target feed him? If you target feed and he is eating. I would be less worried about his behavior.

OP
OP
Combs1ng

Combs1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eating and swimming? Leave that fish alone
Well, my scare is that he hasn't really been eating the last day or so and he isn't swimming this morning. I find it odd that every morning I come down to my tank he was out in the water column waiting to be fed and this morning he doesn't even show the slightest interest in coming out to get food. I refrain from overly messing with the fish and I understand your comment to leave an eating and swimming fish alone but he is totally behaving differently all of a sudden and I know time can be of the essence.

But, I haven't done anything to him since so for the time being I am at work and noone is messing with him

OP
OP
Combs1ng

Combs1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my plan will be to attempt a general feeding again this evening. But if he doesn't come out again, should I just wait until morning before getting alarmed? What if he doesn't come out in the morning? any ideas?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again… can you target feed him? Instead of general feeding the tank.

OP
OP
Combs1ng

Combs1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Anthias did not make it. I tried target feeding him and he mothed a couple pieces of LRS and then would spit it back out. Just not sure what the issue was and why after having him for about a month he decided to just stop eating. He never would take to pellets, though I tried a couple sizes and brands.

Back