captpetefl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had the sunlight come through your tank in addition to the lighting?
I think it really makes pics, especially closeups, really POP!
Here are some I took this evening with my iPhone.
Now you post your favorite “Sunset Pics”…

IMG_8407.jpeg IMG_8404.jpeg IMG_8416.jpeg IMG_8421.jpeg IMG_8422.jpeg IMG_8423.jpeg IMG_8424.jpeg

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its one of my favorite things. It happens twice a year - just before summer and just after summer - the sun lines up and comes through the windows and hits the tank for about 10 minutes to as much as an hour, depending on the the time of year.

it creates a whole different look, and in some cases, can really show off where your lighting is lacking.

20230908_160856.jpg

OP
OP
captpetefl

captpetefl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its one of my favorite things. It happens twice a year - just before summer and just after summer - the sun lines up and comes through the windows and hits the tank for about 10 minutes to as much as an hour, depending on the the time of year.

it creates a whole different look, and in some cases, can really show off where your lighting is lacking.

20230908_160856.jpg
Wow - Beautiful!
The video didn’t come through but would love to see it!
I stare at my tank for so long, I keep it on a livestream for when I travel…
♂️

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - Beautiful!
The video didn’t come through but would love to see it!
I stare at my tank for so long, I keep it on a livestream for when I travel…
♂️

That looks great - love the variety of fish and coral.

Videos can be hit or miss - we have a bunch on our IG page. see if these work - these are a few with the sunlight hitting the tank

This one is form a little over year ago - but the sunlight is pretty cool

OP
OP
captpetefl

captpetefl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great - love the variety of fish and coral.

Videos can be hit or miss - we have a bunch on our IG page. see if these work - these are a few with the sunlight hitting the tank

This one is form a little over year ago - but the sunlight is pretty cool

Very cool videos!!!

Hey - I noticed that you have a Copper Banded Butterfly fish in your reef tank(s). I LOVE that species and want to get one. I also have some nuisance Aptasia that are not out of control, but I just can’t seem to wipe them out (I’ve tried peppermint shrimp, Berghias, and Joes juice and all have only offered very limited success).

I have really been on the fence about getting one because of mixed reviews with regards to “reef safe”. I’ve seen reviews and articles that state from “totally reef safe!”, to “with caution”, to outright “do not put in a reef tank!”. ‍♂️♂️

I have some inhabitants that may be an issue according to various inline articles: cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp two sizes of Derosa clams, several BTAs ans Rose Tipped Anemones, and lots of zoas just to name a few.

What’s your take?

FYI - I have already broken so many rules like this and have been really lucky so far; all of these species are currently living peacefully in my 150g reef tank…

Saddleback Puffer, three diff types of tangs, various blennies, and some shrimp species that are supposed to be unsafe to mix. I guess you could say I’m not afraid to take a risk here or there, but again, I haven’t been burned yet, so maybe I have a false sense of security? My aquarium guy leaves me hate notes every time he sees I added something new…

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool videos!!!

Hey - I noticed that you have a Copper Banded Butterfly fish in your reef tank(s). I LOVE that species and want to get one. I also have some nuisance Aptasia that are not out of control, but I just can’t seem to wipe them out (I’ve tried peppermint shrimp, Berghias, and Joes juice and all have only offered very limited success).

I have really been on the fence about getting one because of mixed reviews with regards to “reef safe”. I’ve seen reviews and articles that state from “totally reef safe!”, to “with caution”, to outright “do not put in a reef tank!”. ‍♂️♂️

I have some inhabitants that may be an issue according to various inline articles: cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp two sizes of Derosa clams, several BTAs ans Rose Tipped Anemones, and lots of zoas just to name a few.

What’s your take?

FYI - I have already broken so many rules like this and have been really lucky so far; all of these species are currently living peacefully in my 150g reef tank…

Saddleback Puffer, three diff types of tangs, various blennies, and some shrimp species that are supposed to be unsafe to mix. I guess you could say I’m not afraid to take a risk here or there, but again, I haven’t been burned yet, so maybe I have a false sense of security? My aquarium guy leaves me hate notes every time he sees I added something new…

I have only ever owned two copper bands (this is my second one) The first I had for about 5 or 6 years, and he was a 110% reef safe - never touched anything I didn't want him to. He was a veracious aptasia eater, and even eat them right out of my hand (i grew them in the refugium as a treat for the copperband)

This current one, that you see in the video I have had for going on 7 years now. He is also a mostly reef safe fish. He's an Aptasia monster, they don't stand chance...but then neither to Acans. He likes those almost as much. I learned the hard way on that one.

Either way - I would not trade him, as he is an awesome fish and my favorite one in the tank.

Main advice - be sure the fish is eating at the fish store BEFORE you buy it. have them feed the tank while you watch. It will make the process much easier and you'll more likely to have success.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%

Back