Super bummed. Is this worth fixing ?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sorry I did mean thicker acrylic glue not like super glue. If you cut 2 square pieces to cover the inside and out damage. Using thick acrylic glue to put them on. It will weld all the pieces together, and should not have any leaks after cure as long as the voids are filled. Mabey even lightly clamp it somehow. Let a couple days to cure.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes sorry I did mean thicker acrylic glue not like super glue. If you cut 2 square pieces to cover the inside and out damage. Using thick acrylic glue to put them on. It will weld all the pieces together, and should not have any leaks after cure as long as the voids are filled. Mabey even lightly clamp it somehow. Let a couple days to cure.
Thank you for the detailed response. I called an acrylic spot and he said I can go through their scrape bucket for free! I also ordered Weldon 4 and 16. So I should patch on outside and inside according to you. Should I patch both bottom and side inside the tank as the crack is in the bottom seam or just the side and glue the seam if that makes sense ? For the outside I will only patch the side and the bottom will make sump uneven.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I patch both bottom and side inside the tank as the crack is in the bottom seam or just the side and glue the seam if that makes sense ?
Just running thin glue inside and patch outside would probably work. Only looked like the outside was chipped. It is hard to see damage on pictures when everything is clear. If the bottom isn't chipped shouldn't need to do bottom. I'm thinking something like a sandwich would be good. As square pieces as you can get would be ideal. That would give it plenty of strength and ease of mind. Check out some vids on acrylic prep to get good welds.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back