Used aquarium, worth upgrading?

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a 60 gallon tank with a sump that recently caught my eye, it’s selling for 450 but I don’t know much about sump and drilling, but if there’s anything that might seem worrying or if it’s worth buying I would love to know, I currently have a 20 gallon Red Sea AIO
It comes with lights, sump, return pump and intake
If there’s any questions I can ask the seller I would need to know would be great

He also says that he will cut the piping to transport easier and for me to have a fresh start

It is dirty but I don’t mind cleaning it when it arrives

I also want to try and replace the stand but if it’s good enough I can let it run for a bit until I make a new one
IMG_8445.jpeg IMG_8444.jpeg IMG_8450.jpeg IMG_8451.jpeg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how the plumbing is connected to the tank, but shouldn’t need to cut the plumbing unless it’s glued into the bulkheads. It should, theoretically, separate without issue unless I’m wrong about how my plumbing attaches at the bulkheads on my tank.

That said, if I’m not mistaken, the lights I believe are far too weak for that tank imo. So that may be an upgrade needed.

Otherwise lots of cleaning and see if he’s willing to fill it to see that it holds water.

And also check the seams for air bubbles. Depending on how long it’s been dry, make sure the silicone isn’t drying out.

Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how the plumbing is connected to the tank, but shouldn’t need to cut the plumbing unless it’s glued into the bulkheads. It should, theoretically, separate without issue unless I’m wrong about how my plumbing attaches at the bulkheads on my tank.

That said, if I’m not mistaken, the lights I believe are far too weak for that tank imo. So that may be an upgrade needed.

Otherwise lots of cleaning and see if he’s willing to fill it to see that it holds water.

And also check the seams for air bubbles. Depending on how long it’s been dry, make sure the silicone isn’t drying out.

Just my thoughts.
I mean I think it’s fine, I would ask to give me the pieces he cut so I can look for them myself and glue them myself too but I’m pretty sure they’re glued
I will try and learn about plumbing too but he said it ran well when it was wet
Btw if they’re weak waht lights can I supplement them with? I know they’re kessil but I thought they were good for a size like that

But I’ll ask how long it’s been dry, thank you I wouldn’t have asked about that

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump might be a little small for 60 gallons. 15-20 gallon would probably be better suited.
I will ask but I saw a 20 standard long sump for sale for 80 but I’m thinking of making my own to see if it’s cheaper

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess it depends if those are a80s or a160s (I thought the older a80s looked similar to the 160s but could be completely wrong. A160s may still be okay but may lack some coverage depending on tank dimensions. Here’s some par for the 160 on a 36 inch wide 38 gallon bow front.
If anyone is interested, (@Dana Riddle) I took a series of PAR readings on my 38 gallon bowfront. I'm running two Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue lights. Readings were taken at 50% color and 100% intensity. The tank is also full of rockwork, has an overflow box, and a 2" reinforcing strut along the top of the tank running front to back.

All in all, pretty good numbers - I'm pleased. I can definitely grow SPS in here.

Kessil A160 WE PAR 38 Gal Bowfront.jpg

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
So I guess it depends if those are a80s or a160s (I thought the older a80s looked similar to the 160s but could be completely wrong. A160s may still be okay but may lack some coverage depending on tank dimensions. Here’s some par for the 160 on a 36 inch wide 38 gallon bow front.
thank you, they’re a160s the dimensions are 3ft wide, 20in deep but idk the height, but it looks similar to a 350 G2 Red Sea which I like in dimension size

If it would be better, I can look for a third A160

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

thank you, they’re a160s the dimensions are 3ft wide, 20in deep but idk the height, but it looks similar to a 350 G2 Red Sea which I like in dimension size

If it would be better, I can look for a third A160
Based on the par referenced above, at 100% at about 24”, the par was near 100-120 the sand bed

Looking at that tank I’d guesstimate the height to be around 20-22”. Add in mounting height, probably about 27/28” of total depth from the light. So your par at sand may be too low. I don’t know if adding another A160 will help as I think it’s a light penetration issue more than adding another light.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the par referenced above, at 100% at about 24”, the par was near 100-120 the sand bed

Looking at that tank I’d guesstimate the height to be around 20-22”. Add in mounting height, probably about 27/28” of total depth from the light. So your par at sand may be too low. I don’t know if adding another A160 will help as I think it’s a light penetration issue more than adding another ligh
Ohh i see, what light would be good then? But is this tank worth it? Even if I place corals higher?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m all for used but this is way too much for the condition. I got my 210 for 800 and everything was in much better shape. I would suggest keep waiting for a better deal.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then, I wont buy it and will wait for another deal to come by then, thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back