Super ich??

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, not to totally freak people out, but I have had my fish im copper power, and they are still catching ich.. what the heck?

I have all of my tangs in a QT. I started copper on the 19th or so of december. Using copper power.

Started at 1.78, boosted to 2.1 after a week, then saw some new spots on my purple tang so boosted to 2.5 about 5 days ago..

My achilies looked HORRIBLE, pale, gaunt, yesterday I dropped it down to 1.75.

Ich is on about 5 of the 10 fish in the tank. I thought 2.5 was the way highest amount and 1.75 was the baseline for ich.

Do I have super ich? Should I soak up the copper and use something else? CP perhaps?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, not to totally freak people out, but I have had my fish im copper power, and they are still catching ich.. what the heck?

I have all of my tangs in a QT. I started copper on the 19th or so of december. Using copper power.

Started at 1.78, boosted to 2.1 after a week, then saw some new spots on my purple tang so boosted to 2.5 about 5 days ago..

My achilies looked HORRIBLE, pale, gaunt, yesterday I dropped it down to 1.75.

Ich is on about 5 of the 10 fish in the tank. I thought 2.5 was the way highest amount and 1.75 was the baseline for ich.

Do I have super ich? Should I soak up the copper and use something else? CP perhaps?

Can you post some pictures. What test kit are using? It could be a faulty. Are the fish currently eating? If so, boost up the immune system by feeding vitamin enriched foods soaked in selcon and zoecon.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pictures. What test kit are using? It could be a faulty. Are the fish currently eating? If so, boost up the immune system by feeding vitamin enriched foods soaked in selcon and zoecon.
+1

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hannah checker with fresh reagent powder. They are currently eating. I have been feeding reef freenzy with beta glucan added.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture from yesterday. I did a freshwater dip on the achilies. He looked 100% better today. He was really faded out, I suspect from the copper being at 2.5.

20200105_210002.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is toxic so I am sure 2.5 was causing stress and faded out color. In the photo is does confirm ich. If you're holding 2.0 copper power for 35 days you should be golden and move to observation.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Here is the deal though...how is the ich surviving and attaching in that tank? I thought 1.75 was the min copper needed to be effective?

Copper levels have been everywhere from 1.78 to 2.50. The fish looked really distressed when I took it to 2.50. I thought I was still in the sweet spot.

I would love to switch to CP but i have a bunch of rock in this tank. I think i am done with copper after this.

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also recently been fighting what I would call "super ich". I have 2 clowns and 2 dalmation molly that I have been in copper (using cupramine) for 2 months and STILL showing signs.

I have always joked around saying that big stores like petco/petsmart are going to be the breeding grounds for super-strains of parasites, diseases and pests, and eventually they will work their way into the hobby and be nearly impossible to treat.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also recently been fighting what I would call "super ich". I have 2 clowns and 2 dalmation molly that I have been in copper (using cupramine) for 2 months and STILL showing signs.

I have always joked around saying that big stores like petco/petsmart are going to be the breeding grounds for super-strains of parasites, diseases and pests, and eventually they will work their way into the hobby and be nearly impossible to treat.

Exactly!! I should note that most of these fish went through an ich breakout about 2 years ago. I took my entire 300G display apart and put them all in a tote. Treated with copper, tank fallow for 74 days, and then put them back in. They had ich a week later. I was soooo ticked.

So then I was like... did i get cross contamination? Aerial transmission? Nothing new added to the system at that time, and I tested copper levels every other day.

More and more I think I should pull the rock, and a bunch of filter foam, and use CP.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back