Super low salinity from Live Aquaria

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the vid from Mr saltwater tank. Why do you think LA wanted to produce their own salt?

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you're fine if you just order from DD, but if you want something additional that DD doesn't have, you're stuck. That's exactly what just happened to me. I wanted 3 fish, but DD had only one, and I wasn't going to fool with 1 DD fish at 1.023-1.025 and 2 LA fish at 1.015-1.018. Therefore, I went elsewhere.

Yes, also a good point, I needed to set up two separate QT tanks for these fish.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what’s funny..I just watched a video from Mr saltwater and he was talking with LA and they just introduced they have their own brand of salt that their making but they said they are using it in all their systems...so now we know that their brand of salt won’t be worth taking the risk of trying out
Beware of huge corporations. Quality is not "usually" their focus.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware of huge corporations. Quality is not "usually" their focus.

I have been hearing bad things about LA a lot lately over different mediums. I may stay away for a while.

I think it is important to understand how non Divers Den stuff works with Live Aquaria. When you place an order through Live Aquaria, it is filled with fish at a wholesaler location. They are never kept in a LA controlled system. These are the same fish that are sent to LFS's, other online vendors, Petco, and DD.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hearing bad things about LA a lot lately over different mediums. I may stay away for a while.
00e5980d29b14b1e8495ee64c218824a.jpg
Here is my magnificent foxface I got from LA in September (I also got a 2 spot tang at the same time but he is more elusive). They both arrived at 1.017. I matched the QT, acclaimed them in the bag for a couple hours to match the pH. Over the 6 weeks I had them in QT (cp treatment and API GC) I raised the sg to 1.023 to match the DT.

Both are doing very well and showed no signs of stress when I got them.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is important to understand how non Divers Den stuff works with Live Aquaria. When you place an order through Live Aquaria, it is filled with fish at a wholesaler location. They are never kept in a LA controlled system. These are the same fish that are sent to LFS's, other online vendors, Petco, and DD.
That's exactly my point. LA is treating living creatures with the same mindset or corporate planning as any other product in their catalog. These big corporations won't change until they get the same bad press like what happened with the "puppy mills" a few years back.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly my point. LA is treating living creatures with the same mindset or corporate planning as any other product in their catalog. These big corporations won't change until they get the same bad press like what happened with the "puppy mills" a few years back.
I understand where you are coming from. I was only pointing out that the problems noticed on fish from Live Aquaria isn't something that can be directly addressed at the retail level. The problems are at the wholesale level. No doubt there is a lot of room to improve yet on the collection and wholesale levels.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where you are coming from. I was only pointing out that the problems noticed on fish from Live Aquaria isn't something that can be directly addressed at the retail level. The problems are at the wholesale level. No doubt there is a lot of room to improve yet on the collection and wholesale levels.
I completely agree. Folks should consider to give as much business to DD as possible to speak with their wallets and let LA know that the regular LA program is unacceptable to a large extent and the the DD model is the right and ethical practice to be rewarded with our support.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it's not really an issue for me. I almost always start out with TTM. Between going up a little each transfer and not topping off it's not difficult at all to get from 1.017 to 1.025 in 12 days.

Be interested to see a list of all vendors that ship at NSW salinity. DD is the only one I know of.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back