Supplemental Lighting Options

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon guys! Currently at work, bored in the office, dreaming up spending more money on my fish tank.

I currently have a red sea 170, and only light this with one single AI Prime 16HD which honestly I don't think is enough?

I was looking into getting a supplemental light. I CAN break the bank, but would always prefer not to if possible. I'd just get another 16HD if I can't find another solution, but I was wondering if anyone knows any well priced lights that can sit right alongside it and provide enough light for SPS.

If you are in the group of people who thinks I should just stop being cheap and get another 16HD, just tell me haha. This is why I'm weighing it up

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Reefer 170 is 24x20x20". I always have to look up dimensions.

If you want to keep the Prime and supplement it, I think you have 2 options.
1. Add another Prime. Pretty good option, in my opinion.
2. The other good option, IMO, would be to add a "Bar" or 2. This could be done with T5 or LED bars.
You could stick with AI, and get one of their new Blades. I would get either a Reefbreeders LumenBar or Orphek.

The other option would be to sell the Prime and get something else. You would have endless options there.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Reefer 170 is 24x20x20". I always have to look up dimensions.

If you want to keep the Prime and supplement it, I think you have 2 options.
1. Add another Prime. Pretty good option, in my opinion.
2. The other good option, IMO, would be to add a "Bar" or 2. This could be done with T5 or LED bars.
You could stick with AI, and get one of their new Blades. I would get either a Reefbreeders LumenBar or Orphek.

The other option would be to sell the Prime and get something else. You would have endless options there.
The AI Blades look really cost effective, actually. I've found one here for £145, two of those would be similar price as one 16HD, unless I've gotten the wrong thing.

I could put a bar on each side of the tank, and then an AI Prime down the middle of them. I think in terms of aesthetics and ease of use, another prime would be the option to go for there. Nothing easier than having the two connected up, similar colours and shimmer etc etc etc.

I could sell the prime and look into something else, but I've ever been great with lighting so I'm not sure what the optimal setup for the tank would be. Christ, before I got the AI prime I was using a Fluval nano LED like an idiot.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI Blades look really cost effective, actually. I've found one here for £145, two of those would be similar price as one 16HD, unless I've gotten the wrong thing.
I would make sure you are looking at the 21" (about 53cm) model. You are wanting to add more coverage, after all. They are listed at 190 US$ here...not sure what they are in Europe.
I could put a bar on each side of the tank, and then an AI Prime down the middle of them. I think in terms of aesthetics and ease of use, another prime would be the option to go for there. Nothing easier than having the two connected up, similar colours and shimmer etc etc etc.
Yep, you got it.
I could sell the prime and look into something else, but I've ever been great with lighting so I'm not sure what the optimal setup for the tank would be. Christ, before I got the AI prime I was using a Fluval nano LED like an idiot.
It's overwhelming for sure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back