Support brace emergency

Void760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon 48x18" tank that i bought second hand from someone. While bringing it home, the whole top shattered but the support brace in the middle just cracked badly. I removed the old glass and got a piece made the same size. Ive tried 100% silicone, gorilla glue, crazy glue, and this marine hold glue but nothing seems to be holding. Yes, i leave it on for at least 72 hours. Yes, i use a bar clamp to hold it in place, Yes, the surface is clean, yes the replacement glas is an exact fit. Nothing is working.

My tank is in its cycling phase now but it has 5 damsels and a starfish in it noe so i dont want to disturb it too much. Currently the bar clamp is what is holding it.

What can be done or is it someone in san diego area who can come and fix this???

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You 100% sure you're getting down to bare glass, getting all the old silicone off?

Jarhead-CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try gorilla glue just do a light sanding where you need to glue it to the glass. The glue is set by water so a few drops of water isn't going to hurt it. Not entirely sure if it is reef safe but they make a clear superglue version that sets in 24 hours.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume there has to be some local custom tank builder that could do the repair. No idea how much it would cost though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cheaper to grab another used tank. The silicone should work as long as you're getting the glass completely clean of the old stuff. Might also have better success if you empty the tank. Do you have a spare that your livestock can live in temporarily?

OP
OP
Void760

Void760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume there has to be some local custom tank builder that could do the repair. No idea how much it would cost though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cheaper to grab another used tank. The silicone should work as long as you're getting the glass completely clean of the old stuff. Might also have better success if you empty the tank. Do you have a spare that your livestock can live in temporarily?
No

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back