OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sump is done! i went and picked it up yesterday. it looks great!

i just need to test it to see how much flow i can put through, but again, i wasn't planning on putting more than 350-500gph through it. and i will be plumbing the return plumbing with a "T" joint, and ball valve so i can redirect some of the flow back into the fuge so i can dial in the right gph for the flow through the entire sump.

DPP_0001.jpg

DPP_0002.jpg

DPP_0004.jpg

DPP_0005.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man.. sump looks complicated... ;)

but it looks sweet... can't wait to see the tank pics when they're up.. :D

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw......the top left and middle portions are the areas where the tank will drain into. i plan on putting an H&S skimmer in there, and probably a phosban reactor if it fits, if not i'll just hang it off the back with a UV sterilizer.

the front portion is the fuge area, and has a black background to keep light out of the sump area.

then the right area is the return area where a return pump will be. the return area holds about 4g or so. its kinda small, but i plan on putting litermeter dosing pump to it with fresh top off water.

since this sump had to be based on demensions for a cube tank, it was kinda cramped in space. i had to have one area a certain size to hold the skimmer, and i wanted my fuge as big as possible with a reasonable sized return area....so this is what i came up with.

so i hope it works! lol

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, after the paint dries on the canopy, i need to put a coat of polyurathane on it like i did on the stand......

polyurathane is that smooth stuff they put on alot of wooden floors and wooden finishing to make them durable and completely water proof. and it will prevent any of the paint of chipping or pealing due to humidity or heat.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really beautiful setup and great job on the stand and canopy! Looking forward to seeing future updates :)

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how much planning you've put into the tank.. it'll look absolutely killer when you get it up and running... what's your time frame on that?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the kind words...yeah, i've been planning it since august, although originally it was supposed to be two 30g cubes (one sps, one zoas), but that changed when i droped the tank..lol

but yeah, lots of research goes into this stuff, make the first decision always the right decision. you spend less $$ that way. ;)

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new update, the canopy is dry and i moved it back inside. still gota put the mesh over it though.

here are some semi-completed shots:

not the best canopy i've ever done, but i like it more open like this instead of a flip up top. its so much easier to just flip the mesh up and lay it on the top. also makes the canopy ALOT lighter. the black makes it look pretty slick.

IMG_1309.jpg

a pefect fit into the stand! that black piece of acrylic on the back wall of the refugium was a great idea.

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

here is the back side of it, i'm just gonna keep it turned like this so i can work on the plumbing next week and water test the bulkhead for the drain line.

IMG_1315.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Al that tank is the bomb!

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the mesh like stuff i've been talking about. you can buy it at walmart, lowes, and home depot. although i think the kind you can get at lowes and home depot is a little bit larger and wider roles, as well as a little bit thicker and more durable.

basically, its this spongy type stuff you use to put on the shelves in your kitchen, and to line the cabnets and drawers in your kitchen to keep plates and other things from getting slammed down on hard surfaces.

IMG_1316.jpg

its perfect for lining the side of the canopy b/c air can still get through it, so the canopy gets the benefits of being an open top with air exchange, but will keep the jumping fish from ending up as crunchy carpet treats. i also like it b/c since the tank will be in a living area, i dont want the glare of a metal halide bulb in my peripheral vision or a glare in the TV while i'm trying to watch it. other benefits are that its light weight, easily removable. and you can even aim a regular room fan at the canopy and pretty much all the air will still get through the mesh.

to reduce glare, you may need to do up to 2 sheets. its just something you'll have to play with.

here is one sheet, as you can see most light passes through, and it only reduces a little bit of glare. but its still completely permeable to a good breeze coming through the room. and any fish that tries to jump will hit it and land back in the tank. i havent had a single jumping casualty from any of my tanks since i've started using this stuff 2 years ago.

IMG_1317.jpg

and this is what 2 sheets basically looks like

IMG_1322.jpg

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! I really like the canopy setup. Slick looking,

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an awesome idea! Tired of getting flashers and having em' jump. One thing i could do is put velcro (spelling?) on the top of my light and on the black egde of the tank just to be sure.

Off to homedepot when i get home. :)

Swweeeet tank as well Al. ;)

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got a REAL skimmer for my tank, its an H&S A110 (external model).

i've been waiting for this skimmer for quite some time, about a couple months before it became available again in the US.

its a PERFECT fit in the sump, dang i'm good! lol ;)

i would have seriously considered getting the A150, as its a BEAST of a skimmer, but its overkill for this tank, i wont be upgrading any time soon, and it would have thrown off my entire design of the sump as i want the skimmer to be in the sump to eliminate too much equipment around the stand. oh well, the A110 should be PLENTY good for this tank.

i think i'm gonna hook it up to my current tank in a day or so to see if i can start pulling off some nasty stuff.

IMG_1438-1.jpg

IMG_1439-1.jpg

IMG_1443-1.jpg

IMG_1442-1.jpg

IMG_1440-1.jpg

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking setup and sweet skimmer. How much longer till its running? I might have missed it, but what all do you plan on keeping in it?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking setup and sweet skimmer. How much longer till its running? I might have missed it, but what all do you plan on keeping in it?

i'm getting ready to move about 2.5hrs away in a couple of weeks, so its going to be set up at the new place, and i'm going to move my current live stock into it.

as far as whats going to go in it......sort of a mixed reef. dominated by some sps and some zoas. but i hope to put some acans/chalices in there too. i have a feeling my zoa collection is only going to get smaller as i cant quite seem to figure out why i lose some every now and then for no reason...i may have some of those cannibalistic pods in my tank or something.

lighting is a 250w SE mogul driven on an HQI ballast, with a radium bulb. eventually i'll put some T5 actinics on there too.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great skimmer and a perfect fit!!

Are you using the parallel reflector?

yeah, i will be. the lumenarc mini is a good fit, but with the canopy it sits too close to the tank and gives alot of shadows in the corners with a big bright spot in the middle. in order to spread the light out i'd have to raise it up higher, which i dont want to do.

i could use a regular lumenarc, but then i wouldn't have room for some actinic T5's as the eurobracing is 2.5inches around the top. so technically the T5's would fit as the regular lumenarc is 19.5"x19.5", but they would have to shine through the acrylic eurobrace which i imagine wont work out very well.

so it seems the best reflector will be the PFO parallel. i've owned one previously and loved it. it puts out PLENTY of light comparable to a lumenarc, plus has the slots for acinics which is a HUGE plus.

for anyone else who is interested, this link is a good read:

http://www.club-zoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4847

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%

Back