Surprise find in the reef

1112-425XL

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
5,217
Reaction score
37,332
Location
Trinity Fl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 mos ago I noticed something in my tank that I didn't put there. I qt new fish and dip all corals so it must have hitched a ride in on a snail or crab shell when it was tiny. Now it's about the size of a half dollar. From research I believe it's an Elephant Snail. Stays in dark spots on live rock and is unseen for days at a time, but from everything I've read it's harmless. Any input would be appreciated.

20221109_172755.jpg 20221126_205855.jpg 20221227_142639.jpg
 
It looks like an elephant slug based on my reading and looking up pictures.
Edit: I just noticed you already found this out. I think I've read that they are not reef-safe, but I don't really know.
 
Reef safe. Will eat algae, and coralline algae. Great at it, won’t even knock things over. It is a good score. Somehow got mine as well, had for years, does great work, no issues.
 
I will add though, there are others slugs/limpets that look very similar, and of course, every animal is unique to some degree. Mine looks just like you picture. A few inches, flat, thin white keyhole in the center of back. I have a mature reef with lots of corals, everything but acros. Have had no issue for years. My experience is they are reef safe, most I read when I was panicking said the same. People generally look for excuses other than them why corals die. Just my 2 cents!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new