Survived the dip??

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I just finished dipping and acclimating my new corals that shipped in. A couple hours later I was admiring them as they all opened up and saw this tiny starfish hanging on for dear life as my power heads blow him about lol should I keep him? Or is it a bad hitchhiker. I don’t know how he survived the dip I saw little things fall off and die and blasted each frag many times. Apparently not enough.

1FAD9CFB-3363-4F43-A67D-8B3ECA054A3E.jpeg 316DF9D8-42E5-4DA3-B792-53DACBA74DCA.jpeg AB17846B-8FE5-4FE0-842D-4BA277659A75.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will be fine to leave. Just a PSA though dips do a great job of getting most pests, but generally speaking they do very poor job(ie useless) for killing eggs. If not using a QT make sure you physically inspect every frag very closely.... far from foolproof but it might save you a lot of trouble in the future.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro brittle star. Detritus eater and an awesome member of a CUC. If he survives the dip, I'd keep him.

OP
OP
shanzfish

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will be fine to leave. Just a PSA though dips do a great job of getting most pests, but generally speaking they do very poor job(ie useless) for killing eggs. If not using a QT make sure you physically inspect every frag very closely.... far from foolproof but it might save you a lot of trouble in the future.
Ok thanks, I’m usually much better at finding pests. I guess I was just too excited lol

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I just finished dipping and acclimating my new corals that shipped in. A couple hours later I was admiring them as they all opened up and saw this tiny starfish hanging on for dear life as my power heads blow him about lol should I keep him? Or is it a bad hitchhiker. I don’t know how he survived the dip I saw little things fall off and die and blasted each frag many times. Apparently not enough.

1FAD9CFB-3363-4F43-A67D-8B3ECA054A3E.jpeg 316DF9D8-42E5-4DA3-B792-53DACBA74DCA.jpeg AB17846B-8FE5-4FE0-842D-4BA277659A75.jpeg
If you know someone with a harlequin shrimp, they'd like it for food. I'd hate to say toss it away because I love the story about the little boy saving starfish on the beach and how it matters to that starfish :( I have a few tiny starfish that came with my established tank... wish they weren't there... haven't yet caught one being bad... but its just their nature to eat... :( Some species eat corals... its safest to get rid of it but vote try taking it back to LFS

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know someone with a harlequin shrimp, they'd like it for food. I'd hate to say toss it away because I love the story about the little boy saving starfish on the beach and how it matters to that starfish :( I have a few tiny starfish that came with my established tank... wish they weren't there... haven't yet caught one being bad... but its just their nature to eat... :( Some species eat corals... its safest to get rid of it but vote try taking it back to LFS
Brittle are pretty much all detrivore(sp?) That appears to be your typical white or white and black banded variety. Serpents and larger true starfish can be very risky.

They were actually a a big driver for me doing liverock again. One of the coolest freebies around. My tank looks freaky at night waving arms fishing for food.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked and it looks like it may have died, but thanks for all the replies :)
That means your dip did the job it was supposed to do. I hope nothing evil was hiding and hanging around after the dip.

Is that an organ pipe coral?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back