Surviving a power outage

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends. I’m in Southern CO and we have been without power for the past five hours. I’ve had my generator running since a few minutes after power had gone out and I am currently drinking a beer watching my gas fireplace burn.

If any of you are thinking about getting a generator, just in case...do it. The power company wrote on Facebook that they are going home for the night and don’t expect power to be on until noon tomorrow. Even if that’s the case, my fridge is running, my tank is running and all is good.

Don’t wait until it’s too late. Get a generator!

I wish everyone else good luck who are in the winter storm season.

OP
OP
Bill_Moorman

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent advice. I'm going to go get a cold beer out of the fridge to show solidarity with Colorado.

Let's all lift a cold glass to reef tanks, generators, and the fine warm folks at the "Southeast Colorado Power Association."

Cheers!
5c8852e0e243d2fd9f2e91d0d84bbcb3.jpg

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9ba29d617295a72d720b52147c3a784d.jpg

I also have a generator. A must have here in the winter. National Grid will work 24/7 until power is on but we do frequent 3 plus hr dark spells. ... I’m 10 miles from 3 nukes one nat. Gas and one oil plant. Massive generation right down the rd and still get outages.

So a toast and a toke for reef tanks and generators !!

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had the first ever "Super" derecho in 2009. 106 mile per hour winds. Took down all the old trees whose root systems were standing in saturated soil. I was without grid power for 8 days. Keep that generator in good shape!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had the first ever "Super" derecho in 2009. 106 mile per hour winds. Took down all the old trees whose root systems were standing in saturated soil. I was without grid power for 8 days. Keep that generator in good shape!
That sounds like us with a Cat 2 hurricane! It’s sad, but when it’s a Cat 2, we put gas in the cars, gather some bottles of water and wait. A few mph stronger (Cat 3) we get serious. A Cat 4, we leave. A Cat 5, we hook up the horse trailer and haul everyone north.

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a beer! Lol j/k

I'm in the spring's and my power started flickering yesterday afternoon but luckily it stayed on. It did make me think about what I was going to do if it went out! Hopefully you get power back soon, and hopefully you didn't run out of "beer" yesterday. Cheers

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy they go home for the day. Even here in middle of no where Northern Ontario they work 24/7 to repair power failures which happen frequently. There have been a lot of power failures here recently but I'm so glad none of them effected me. While I am prepared for an outage with a 7500 watt generator. I was NOT prepared for the 5 foot snowbank in front of my shed that houses the generator. I would just have to run an extra extension cord.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in a whole house generator. Piece of mind is priceless :)

But in all reality any tank after a couple hours without power will be impacted. I went 18hrs without it and lost a handful of fish. All because I was too lazy to drive 10 min in a storm after 13hr day of work to get the generator out of my barn. Never again will that happen

Jason Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9ba29d617295a72d720b52147c3a784d.jpg

I also have a generator. A must have here in the winter. National Grid will work 24/7 until power is on but we do frequent 3 plus hr dark spells. ... I’m 10 miles from 3 nukes one nat. Gas and one oil plant. Massive generation right down the rd and still get outages.

So a toast and a toke for reef tanks and generators !!
My to favorites right there.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good advice, get something more than just a standard battery backup for your tank. last fall I had an ice storm, hit and took out the power for 3 days. 20 degree days dropped the house temp below 40 and also the tank. I lost everything except for a couple snails. I've got a 46 gl tank and lost over $1k in livestock. Lesson learned, I got a power inverter and a new car battery, ran a test with 2 heaters and 1 powerhead, worked for 4 days. Plugged everything back in and still had 30% left on battery charge.

clicfacil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,
I was about to open a topic on R2R, I am from Venezuela and I had 36 hours without light and 60 hours without water due to communism and drug dealers who took over my country.

How did I do? I have a converter 12v to 110v, I took the battery from my car I put it to my converter and there I fed 30% my 2 vortech on the display that I did for 5 hours, then I went down 7 floors I put the battery and I took it from the car from my wife the battery went up 7 floors and I repeated that process every 5 hours. In that process I removed the electricity to the vortech and put it to the circulation pump 1 hour so that the sump water also had some movement.

I had for the rumors heard that drinking water stored in 10 bottles of 5 liters for me and my family, I had a tank of 400 litres too, for cook and the bathrooms.

Without lamps, everything survived, zero casualties ... although I tell them we had a hard time.
A group of friends We help each other to withstand this crisis. Some were not so lucky and many fish and corals could not stand it. Also many human lives were lost, logically we do not know how many because we are in DICTATORSHIP.

By the way my kitchen is electric, I had to go to neighbors to cook something where they had gas stove.

Back