Surviving a power outage

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Bill_Moorman, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Bill_Moorman

Bill_Moorman Active Member

Hello friends. I’m in Southern CO and we have been without power for the past five hours. I’ve had my generator running since a few minutes after power had gone out and I am currently drinking a beer watching my gas fireplace burn.

If any of you are thinking about getting a generator, just in case...do it. The power company wrote on Facebook that they are going home for the night and don’t expect power to be on until noon tomorrow. Even if that’s the case, my fridge is running, my tank is running and all is good.

Don’t wait until it’s too late. Get a generator!

I wish everyone else good luck who are in the winter storm season.

Bruce7267ad, Res_Ipsa, jt17 and 7 others like this.

2. KrisReef

KrisReef Valuable Member

Excellent advice. I'm going to go get a cold beer out of the fridge to show solidarity with Colorado.

Let's all lift a cold glass to reef tanks, generators, and the fine warm folks at the "Southeast Colorado Power Association."

3. scattered

scattered Member

A battery powered pump is a good idea if you are susceptible to minor outages.

4. Bill_Moorman

Absolutely. I’ve got one of those as well!

Scotty Buttons and KrisReef like this.
  5. scattered

scattered Member

I cannot be an enemy to the great state of Colorado. I too shall beer and I will add THC in full solidarity.

6. BestMomEver

BestMomEver Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Here, here from the tornado battered Alabama coast! We have multiple generators....

7. Bill_Moorman

Cheers! [​IMG]

KrisReef, VSVP bet and Scotty Buttons like this.
  8. Bill_Moorman

Love it!!

KrisReef and Scotty Buttons like this.
  9. jbomb001

jbomb001 Active Member

[​IMG]

I also have a generator. A must have here in the winter. National Grid will work 24/7 until power is on but we do frequent 3 plus hr dark spells. ... I’m 10 miles from 3 nukes one nat. Gas and one oil plant. Massive generation right down the rd and still get outages.

So a toast and a toke for reef tanks and generators !!

10. av8

av8 Member

We had the first ever "Super" derecho in 2009. 106 mile per hour winds. Took down all the old trees whose root systems were standing in saturated soil. I was without grid power for 8 days. Keep that generator in good shape!

11. BestMomEver

BestMomEver Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

That sounds like us with a Cat 2 hurricane! It’s sad, but when it’s a Cat 2, we put gas in the cars, gather some bottles of water and wait. A few mph stronger (Cat 3) we get serious. A Cat 4, we leave. A Cat 5, we hook up the horse trailer and haul everyone north.

12. Scotty Buttons

Scotty Buttons Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

That's not a beer! Lol j/k

I'm in the spring's and my power started flickering yesterday afternoon but luckily it stayed on. It did make me think about what I was going to do if it went out! Hopefully you get power back soon, and hopefully you didn't run out of "beer" yesterday. Cheers

KrisReef and siggy like this.
  13. andrewkw

andrewkw Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

That's crazy they go home for the day. Even here in middle of no where Northern Ontario they work 24/7 to repair power failures which happen frequently. There have been a lot of power failures here recently but I'm so glad none of them effected me. While I am prepared for an outage with a 7500 watt generator. I was NOT prepared for the 5 foot snowbank in front of my shed that houses the generator. I would just have to run an extra extension cord.

KrisReef likes this.
  14. lolgranny

lolgranny Well-Known Member

Invest in a whole house generator. Piece of mind is priceless :)

But in all reality any tank after a couple hours without power will be impacted. I went 18hrs without it and lost a handful of fish. All because I was too lazy to drive 10 min in a storm after 13hr day of work to get the generator out of my barn. Never again will that happen

KrisReef likes this.
  15. Jason Miller

Jason Miller Active Member Partner Member 2019

My to favorites right there.

16. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

How thoughtful of them to let you know ......

Scotty Buttons likes this.
  17. scattered

scattered Member

Ironically one of the Facebook posts that got through yesterday.

18. mkwarner77

mkwarner77 Member

good advice, get something more than just a standard battery backup for your tank. last fall I had an ice storm, hit and took out the power for 3 days. 20 degree days dropped the house temp below 40 and also the tank. I lost everything except for a couple snails. I've got a 46 gl tank and lost over $1k in livestock. Lesson learned, I got a power inverter and a new car battery, ran a test with 2 heaters and 1 powerhead, worked for 4 days. Plugged everything back in and still had 30% left on battery charge.

19. clicfacil

clicfacil Member

Hello friends,
    I was about to open a topic on R2R, I am from Venezuela and I had 36 hours without light and 60 hours without water due to communism and drug dealers who took over my country.

How did I do? I have a converter 12v to 110v, I took the battery from my car I put it to my converter and there I fed 30% my 2 vortech on the display that I did for 5 hours, then I went down 7 floors I put the battery and I took it from the car from my wife the battery went up 7 floors and I repeated that process every 5 hours. In that process I removed the electricity to the vortech and put it to the circulation pump 1 hour so that the sump water also had some movement.

I had for the rumors heard that drinking water stored in 10 bottles of 5 liters for me and my family, I had a tank of 400 litres too, for cook and the bathrooms.

Without lamps, everything survived, zero casualties ... although I tell them we had a hard time.
    A group of friends We help each other to withstand this crisis. Some were not so lucky and many fish and corals could not stand it. Also many human lives were lost, logically we do not know how many because we are in DICTATORSHIP.

By the way my kitchen is electric, I had to go to neighbors to cook something where they had gas stove.

Res_Ipsa likes this.
  20. simpleman

simpleman Member

i have 2 generators must have back up for backup more beer for my fishes and vodka for coral

Draft saved Draft deleted