Surviving a power outage

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have to ask yourself how much are you dedicated to reefing, is your tank worth it?? Me I am def dedicated and went with a home stby generator genarac brand. Installed 2 months ago and has saved me twice already! Once it was out for 1.5 hours, next was out for 12 hours, well worth the investment

scattered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,
I was about to open a topic on R2R, I am from Venezuela and I had 36 hours without light and 60 hours without water due to communism and drug dealers who took over my country.

How did I do? I have a converter 12v to 110v, I took the battery from my car I put it to my converter and there I fed 30% my 2 vortech on the display that I did for 5 hours, then I went down 7 floors I put the battery and I took it from the car from my wife the battery went up 7 floors and I repeated that process every 5 hours. In that process I removed the electricity to the vortech and put it to the circulation pump 1 hour so that the sump water also had some movement.

I had for the rumors heard that drinking water stored in 10 bottles of 5 liters for me and my family, I had a tank of 400 litres too, for cook and the bathrooms.

Without lamps, everything survived, zero casualties ... although I tell them we had a hard time.
A group of friends We help each other to withstand this crisis. Some were not so lucky and many fish and corals could not stand it. Also many human lives were lost, logically we do not know how many because we are in DICTATORSHIP.

By the way my kitchen is electric, I had to go to neighbors to cook something where they had gas stove.

I wish you freedom my Venezuelan reefing friend. I work with engineers all over South America and you all deserve better. At least you have really good food and wine.

OP
OP
Bill_Moorman

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a beer! Lol j/k

I'm in the spring's and my power started flickering yesterday afternoon but luckily it stayed on. It did make me think about what I was going to do if it went out! Hopefully you get power back soon, and hopefully you didn't run out of "beer" yesterday. Cheers

Hahahah it’s beer when you are trying to lose weight and still want a beer!

Believe me, if I didn’t have weight to lose, I’m an IPA guy all the way.

OP
OP
Bill_Moorman

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Power was out for a total of 5 hours. The reef was none the wiser. The generator worked flawlessly.

To the poster who mentioned to keep it maintained. YES!

A generator is only useful if it works. Just having one isn’t enough. I clean the carb once a year and keep fuel stabilizer in it all year. I’ve had fuel that isn’t old gum up the carb.

Also, make sure to run it every few weeks. It literally took 1 pull to get it up and running. Usually I’ll run it on a weekend when I am doing yard work for maybe 15 minutes. Keeps it in good working order.

Further, have an action plan. Know which extension cords you need and which power strips. I had mine on life support mode, aka, Flow, heat and ATO. Lights both reef and fuge, skimmer and Carbon reactor all went off.

Hope everyone else made it though okay!

Dub_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Denver and this last storm I made it through without losing power. About a month ago we lost power for almost 12 hours. Initially power company said 2 hours. The UPS would be fine for that amount of time. But then they updated their estimate to another 12 hours. Left work and went straight to Costco. Bought a 7500 watt generator that kept the tank warm and lit the living room. It also powered a space heater so we all hung out in the living room and the fish had no idea it was only 8 degrees outside and 60 degrees in the living room. Before this storm, I went out and made sure it started before the storm hit. I am so glad to have that piece of mind knowing I'm prepared for it next time.

clicfacil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you freedom my Venezuelan reefing friend. I work with engineers all over South America and you all deserve better. At least you have really good food and wine.
Thanks my reefer Bro, I hope the same too... Is pretty hard this situation. I think it's a bit short to get out of this, while I try of keep the aquarium

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 118 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back