OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @Bronc @1WildBill I think he did an awesome job. I did my part by "going away" and not standing over his shoulder.... So the tank was a good partnership. I handled the design, and the "wet" part. He did the plumbing and electrical. Heaven help me when (when, not if) I need to remove any piece of equipment ;Yuck

So, three weeks. Prob. can add a few corals. So why am I so nervous about putting any "life" into my brand spanking new and cool tank...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uglies are about to descend upon my poor unsuspecting tank. Diodoms have shown their little faces...

I've had the lights mostly off for the cycle--been trying out a schedule for a few days to get it set. Added some extra corals that I had to sell to a lfs to the tank. Will be keeping one of each for that tank. Guess it is time to
pick out a cuc. More uglies in my future, I'm sure.
20180227_170039.jpg

20180227_170055.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved some LR from the display refugium to the new coral qt tank (RS E170). Took out some of the trochus snails and added them to the 125. Found 2 narsarius and tossed them into the 66 as there isn't anything for them to eat in the new tank and I need to replinish cuc there as well. Still adding saltwater to the coral qt tank.

Tomorrow will take the goby and damsel out of the DR and add them to the 125. Hate to have the sand sifter there--he's a messy fish but unless I put him in the coral qt, I'm not sure what to do with him. But a fish with the corals defeats the qt aspect. Would rather get a rainford?? goby as they don't make quite the mess. Then I'll be ready to clean out sand, remove canister filter, set up the hob and my new fish acclimation tank will be ready.

Used about 15 gal of water from the 66 gal and 5 from the DR to add to the coral tank. That with the LR should keep it from cycling. Will be removing all sand from the DR and will put that in the coral qt and add some more into the fuge.

Almost every rock has some kenya tree. Might have to chisel bits off as I don't want it in my fuge and getting into my new tank. Lots of fun here....

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made temp covers out of egg crate so I can add my 2 fish. The goby and damsel are in a bucket with some new tank water being added. Also added a bunch of trochus snails and set them on top where the diatoms were getting thick. One rock is completely cleaned off! Saw a baby. I'd added a couple scoops of old sand to the back of the tank. I know they'll be more in the tank I'm emptying out. Removing all sand and rock and will watch for snails. Not tearing it down so that means it should be good to go as a fish qt tank. Does need some major cleaning! Might also put 2 hob filters--the aquaclears. One is on the 10 gal which is coming down totally. bta will go into coral qt. Can't figure out how and why it is still alive.

Hope to be all done with tank stuff by end of weekend.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are in! Goby not so happy but came out to eat. Damsel is out and about. Even swam through the hole in the centerpiece rock that took me forever to chisel out. Macros in fuge. Added some pods. Did a small harvest. Not sure how many are in there but it adds to what was in the rocks--lots of amphipods.

10 gal torn down. Display refugium just has some sand, macros and snails. Will clear out tomorrow, clean glass, set up hang on back and remove canister filter. Figured that is too much for a qt tank. Will keep the water and one powerhead for flow and the tank will be ready for fish.

New coral qt up and running. bta not happy but I can't figure out why it is still alive. I do dose some selcom, phyto and ghost feed. Would do more if I new what to do besides lighting and flow. No tentacles. Just a pale blob.

Oh, just thought that I wanted to put a piece of live rock in display but it all had either kenya trees or macros. Guess the main tank will seed from the fuge. If the

I still want to know how it is that I went from 1 tank to 4.....
Will get better pics of fish. Didn't want to get too close to tank as they were eating
20180301_184724.jpg
20180301_190713.jpg
20180301_190734.jpg

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got the fever Susan. MTS fever, there’s no known cure either. Lol

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol's @1WildBill What is MTS? Multiple tank syndrome I'm guessing or close <g> This hobby needs warning labels like bags of potato chips or cats--can't have just one. Of course I love chips and have 5 cats....

Okay, here is my FINAL set up. No more tanks unless I upgrade one of oniathe main displays and that won't be for at least a couple years if not longer!!

Office:
RS Max C250 AIO 66 Gal Display
39 gal tall Fish QT Eventually I'll be full up of fish and then won't need up and running (Ha!)
Living Room:
Aqueon dual mega flow 125 gal Display with Bashsea Sump approx 35 gal
RS Max E170 AIO 45 gal Coral QT set up with rock and sand.

Spare 10 gal for special treatments if needed though will treat in 39 gal. No sand or rock. Have to remove all sand as there are tons of baby snails in there and meds will kill and spike amm.

Noticed the damsel swimming length of tank. Seems happy to have it all to itself except for the goby. Will be adding 4 more damsels as the first fish or some lemon chromis.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekend goal:
Update spreadsheet to include new QT tank. Not doing a separate build as it is just going to house corals for qt or grow out.
Finish removing sand from new fish qt and clean glass inside and out, set up new filtering system
Decide fish for new tank and where to get--go local or order
Enter the March r2r site supporter contest <g>
Do a schedule for tank maintenance for all tanks. Prob. don't have to test new 125 tank yet or even for a little while. Should test to get basics
Order more salt. It's on a auto rotation but I will need before april! Filling 2 new tanks used most of it.
shine everything up today as son and family coming over. Haven't seen new tank yet. Or rather, tanks

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let there be.....

LIGHTS!!!!!
20180220_162330.jpg
20180220_162731 (1).jpg

Now I have to figure out how to use them and find out whether they should be lower. Will prob. add a couple pcs of liverock to the left side from a tank I'll be taking down. Plan to ask on the forums

Have tons of flow. Might not need a 3rd eflux unless it is to go behind one of the rock islands. Have 3 in there now. 2 efluxs only at 40-50 % power.
Looks great Susan. My wiring looks like a big birdsnest! Would post a picture but too many OCD's on site. MMW/Modesto

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Susan. My wiring looks like a big birdsnest! Would post a picture but too many OCD's on site. MMW/Modesto

@mmw64 lol's. And he did do a good job. Hope you're not getting too much rain. Had a bit of hail here.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you’ve seen the Aquarimate app yet, but you may like it. I love it for tracking all of my reef stuff.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it, and will look at it again, but I found it faster to use excel. I have a separate page for each tank, a livestock page that is sortable, a calendar, a journal, and some other stuff I don't use (charts for the big 3 but I can just look at my numbers down the column plus could never get the info to xfer over) I got the origianal copy from one of the forum sites. It has all kinds of codes I can't figure out so I don't use them, and then added additional pages so I have everything. I test at my computer desk, so it is faster to just type the number into the right column. What I'd like is an app with a more complete fish listing.

Back