Susan's Grand Adventure--125 Reef Build

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could never get the info to xfer over

In Excel, if you are referring to the updated data cells being reflected in the chart, I find the best thing to do after inserting a chart (or more data) is this:

1. Right click on the chart
  2. Select “Source Data”
  3. Select the “Series” tab in the pop up
  4. For the X data, change the last cell number in the selected data to be way beyond the number currently selected (which, when creating the chart, is the last data point)
  5. Do the same as above for each series of Y data

Assuming this or something close works for different versions of Excel. If I misunderstood, then apologies for wasting your time :)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman thanks. Will try that. There was an archive feature that I also had trouble with but I just cut and paste and move data. I'm a real techie junkie but haven't found any app that is faster than using excel

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman thanks. Will try that. There was an archive feature that I also had trouble with but I just cut and paste and move data. I'm a real techie junkie but haven't found any app that is faster than using excel

Agreed. Plus, I like to be able to manipulate the data in customized ways.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that too! I can sort my livestock by place bought, date, type of coral, names, etc. And same for fish, plus I added a A/D column to track alive or dead. And adding the calendar tab makes it easy to use without opening another app or program

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We now have fish!!! Well, fish are in QT anyway. Currently the tank has:
1 yellow tail Damsel. Will add more later, when I add the tangs
1 yellow head sleeper goby
New soon to be additions once they pass QT:
2 percula clowns
1 Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse
1 Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse
1 Carpenters Fairy WRasse--on backorder. Was in stock when I ordered. Now it's not...

This was my first time ordering online. Liveaquaria.com. I admit to being very pleased and surprised. I decided there was no risk with their 14 day guarantee. Local stores have none and I seem to loose half or more. Figured I would receive 2 tiny clowns. Both are good size, maybe close to/at adult size. The ruby head is also good size, maybe 2.5 inches. The lubbocks is the smallest. All swimming and doing well. The 2 wrasses hanging together, clowns not far away. Won't hesitate to order online again. Once it gets hot, probably can't do it, will have to see then.

Will add some blue light on low in a while and try feeding as well. Added some plastic gutter mesh to the egg crate cover. and have a small flap for feeding.

Will most likely to a round or 2 of prazi. Nothing else unless I see issues.

I think I'm going to like having wrasses. So far anthias are my favorite. Now I have 2 favorites...

So when this batch goes into the tank, I'll get another order to put in QT.
20180308_114509.jpg
20180308_120802.jpg
20180308_120807.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh. Did a post on Sunday on the new corals but instead of copying to post on another forum site, I cut... Here is the post
Got coral! Went to 2 lfs's and picked up 10 coral frags. No fish though.

Here are the corals I bought. All in the coral qt tank and looking good. Only the pavona is not tentacled out
Duncan 3-4 heads
Neon Green Torch
Branching GSP (for the lone centerpiece rock)
2 Micromussa's--one rainbow from Legendary Corals
Silver GSP--share rock with other gsp
Pavona
short branch goneapora--will go in 66 gal tank
tenuis acropora
Stylophora

silver gsp and branching gsp
20180308_121853.jpg

acropora tenuis and stylophora
20180308_121907.jpg
20180308_121913.jpg

goneapora and duncan
20180308_121923.jpg
20180308_121929.jpg

torch and micromussa
20180308_121934.jpg
20180308_121956.jpg

micromussa and pavona
20180308_122003.jpg
20180308_122023.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wholly mackerel! How is it that I just now see this build thread? Very nice job Susan. Very nice indeed. I am in the slow process of my 125 gal build as well. Wish I had stumbled on your build sooner. Making progress myself...SLOWLY, painfully slow! My wife wants nothing to do with the tank other than enjoying it. Good to have a committed, involved spouse. If so inclined... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reboot-standard-125-nothing-special-here.355477/
Thank you for the inspiration!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a concern that when my backordered wrasse arrived, I'd be adding 1 fish to a qt of 4 fish, including 2 wrasse's. Cancelled the order but ordered 2 others so that on Tuesday I can add 2 more fish to the qt.

McCoskers Flasher and Blue head Fairy WRasse. That should give me a nice grouping of wrasse

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost didn't order clowns as it seems like all i've had just hang in one area and don't do much. Might be because these guys are new but they are all over the qt tank, swimming back and forth and exploring every inch!. the 2 wrasses are also out and about. No hiding at all since putting them in. Have multiple pvc fittings and a decoration with a hidey hole and fake plants. All four fish get along, hang together for a while, they swim off. The 2 wrasse are usually together.

The ruby heads coloring has really come out in so short a time. Added low blue light and just a bit of the whites (chinese black box). I know they don't need light but figured they might respond better if things were more "normal". No idea if the Lubbocks is a male or female or a juvinelle. Doesn't really matter. it's coloring has really come out as well. Everyone is eating.

Not sure if I should do a round of prazi starting tomorrow or wait until the other 2 wrasses get here on Tuesday. I'm using some stability as I've added 4 fish to the qt tank. Will use for a few days. Phone died so will add some mroe pics later

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish arrived! McCosker's Wrasse and Blue Head Wrasse. Dripping now! Pictures to follow. Ordered the new samsung galaxy s9+ so am hoping that will take better pics!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got fish. McCoskers and Blue Head. Both swimming around. Ruby Head a bit aggressive toward Blue Head. Both are young males and nice size fish. No idea sex of the other 2. McCoskers is smaller, about same size as Lubbockis. Hopefully they settle out. Plan to keep in qt for a month to get them fat and settled. Not sure if I'll treat with prazi or not as I don't want them to stop eating. Will evaluate in a week. No sign of any ailments or such.
20180313_112948.jpg
20180313_112959.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
New Fish:
McCoskers Wrasse--seems okay. Been watching. Not as active but eats
Ruby Head Wrasse--Had white stringy poo. Metro and focus now in food for 10 days
Blue Head Wrasse--Normal Poo spotted today. Actually not sure which of these two wrasse had the icky poo
Lubbocks Wrasse--Probably won't make it. Has injury, most likely spinal, and isn't able to get up into food column to eat. Thought it was gone, tried to net it and it zipped back into pvc tube. Trying to get food to it
2 clowns--seem okay. Not a mated pair and both are same size. Hang out in same area but often each in a different pvc tube.

Corals adjusting. Added the green torch and 2 micromussas to the tank along with the silver gsp and branching gsp. Duncan looks to be doing good. The 2 gsp's are ready for me to glue in their solitary rock. And the duncan. Still giving micros time to adjust. 1 looks good. 1 has feeding tentacles but isn't as t hickly fleshed out yet. Reverse sunset and orange sedosa seem okay and ready for perm. attachment

In coral qt, watching several others. Some may go in this tank, some to other tank.
Short branch gonipora will go to 66 gal
tenius not sure. Great polyp exten. I put the other tenius from the 66 in coral qt as it has no polyp extension
Stylophora doing great. not sure where it will go
Pavona still not fleshed out or feeding tentacles.
sps prob. do better in the 66 gal although it has high nitrates.

Not much else doing. Ordered the screen kits from brs. will be here on friday.

All that's left is to purchase another eflux pump, a spare return, a doser. Just some small stuff Still a few tweaks and a manifold to finish, although no use for it at the moment. Not sure I'll use it for water changes. I'll ask on the forum on how that works and if any advantages.

Then, just need to get fish and corals into the tank--have 2 fish from previous set up but of course in a 125, it's pretty sad...

So it's all waiting and watching now. Fish out of qt second week in April. Will decide if I will do a round of prazi.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update. I think second tank is like second child--you aren't as excited over certain milestones like: tank is over a month old. My other tank I was right here posting my month birthdays! Lots going on. First fish:

I must have a wrasse Jinx as I ordered 4 from Live Aquaria
The Lubbocks had/has a spinal injury. Still alive at 3 weeks. Only laying on sand but must be eating as hey, it's still alive. Not much hope here.

The McCoskers wrasse died. No reason but it never seemed as robust or healthy. Wasn't surprised. Got refunds on both even though the lubbocks is still alive as I don't expect it to live

Decided to move the Ruby and Blue head, along with 2 clowns to the display as the qt is getting icky with dinos. Doing 4 gal water changes every 2-3 days. I just don't have good luck with water quality in a qt.

Casualty #3: While netting the fish the Ruby head jumped and hit the rim (I think). I catch him and the rest, put in bucket and Ruby is all curled up. Da**. Back into the QT with the Lubbocks to see if he recovers.

So out of 3 wrasse, only the blue head made it to the display. Really bummed. Will get more but next fish need to be cheap chromis and maybe a damsel or 2 to go with the 1 I have.

My son in law has a powder blue tang for me. he needs qt as he doesn't qt fish. Has him in his frag tank until I can take him. He got that one and a brown powder and the 2 fight. So i have to decide how and when to get him. I don't have a lot or hardly any algae yet. Plus I want 2 other tangs so have to figure out how to do this. Get 2 others in and through qt, then do him or get him in and add some chromis and damsels to the qt with him--they will all have to go through copper as all tangs must do copper. I could add him to my 66 gal tank until I get 2 more tangs for other tank. Don't think I have ich in my tank but who knows. Would like a couple more batches of fish before tangs. Not sure how hard it will be to catch him in my 66. Or I just have 1 tang. Or take my changes on adding others after him. Fish drama and dilemas

Next post corals
20180329_202724.jpg
20180329_202750.jpg
20180329_202813.jpg
20180329_202853.jpg
20180329_202925.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, in less than 2 months, I have coraline. Spotted it on glass a week ago or so and today I can see it on the rocks. Had to use my flipper to scrape it off glass. That was a surprise. Figured 4-6 months at least. Hoping this means tank is pretty stable. Having to dose to bring numbers up. Will be getting a doser sooner than later.

Okay, coral update. Got a really nice piece of galaxea. Super long stinging tentacles. That will go up higher and out of the way! Also picked up a nice cup coral and 2 zoa frags that are pretty sorry looking but only 10 bucks. I think both will perk up and be nice.

Here is what I have to date and the status. They all start off in qt but not for 76 days at this point. Mostly to see how they are doing and get them healthy as the qt has hydra 26's
Galaxea--in qt, looking great
Cup--in qt, looking great
2 zoa frags. Opening. One not bad. Other needs some tlc
branching gps--in display and glued to rock
Silver gps--in display and glued to rock
Green torch--in display and doing great
2 micromussas - in display. We're trying to find our sweet spot. If they don't get happy soon, back to qt to get a bit more time
mandarin orange sedosa from 66 gal--in display, nice PE. Ready to find permenant spot and glue
Reverse sunset from 66 gal--in display and ready to glue in where ever I decide to put it
Stylophora--in display for a few days and still doing great. Lots of PE
Tenius acropora in display for a few days and still has lots of PE
Pavona in qt. Waiting to see some PE
Gonipora in qt. Prob. to 66 but might try 125
Hammer moved from 66 to 125. Wasn't happy in 66 where I had it. We'll see how it does here
Duncan doing great. REady to find it's perm. spot.
So not a bad start to corals.

Need to get a wet vac for sump during water changes. Also, fuge has algae. Not sure if I should cut lights, change lights or leave it be. Has some dragons breath I think and live rock and sand.

Right side. Coraline on glass, neon torch, micro
20180325_194954.jpg

2 different gsp's. See pic in prev. post for placement on rock. This pic older
20180325_194959.jpg

Stylophora, tenius, sedosa, reverse sunset, duncan, micro unhappy in back. Moved it today
20180325_202332.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems odd how we get excited about something as seemingly mundane as coralline algae growth. I just did a water change on the rock that I am cycling outside and was blown away by how much coralline algae growth I was getting as well. Simple things, little victories. Sorry about you wrasse. Hoping it recovers!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks at @najer and @P-Dub and the rest of you for the likes and follows. I was debating adding one or 2 of my live rocks to the display but there wasn't really room and when I did the landscape, those rocks were in another tank so I'm very surprised at how fast it went from either the sump to display or from the shells of some of the trochus snails I put in from the other tanks. Jazzed whatever and however!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the Ruby survived. Saw it swimming in qt this am so netted him, he went thru some drama, had me thinking "oh sh** not again, but I put him in the display and he's out swimming and eating just fine...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back