Susan's RS Reefer 3xl 900 Fantasy-Dream Build

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I need to hear that!!!! My little yellow tail is a perfect citizen. I think 4 of the staghorns are okay but there are 2 big guys that are not nice. They face off with each other and raise those top fins at each other. I take it back. Maybe 3 not nice!
Maybe you just need more rock and hiding spots for them? Or they just ******s.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you just need more rock and hiding spots for them? Or they just ******s.
they are open swimmers and don't go into rocks or caves, not like the yellow tail. Favorite thing is to swim around and break my corals... Here are the 2 that face off on this side of tank. They swim back and forth, top fin agitated and then charge each other. Saw one nipping on my candy cane after I moved it. Grrrr

20220603_233850.jpg
20220603_233859.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are open swimmers and don't go into rocks or caves, not like the yellow tail. Favorite thing is to swim around and break my corals... Here are the 2 that face off on this side of tank. They swim back and forth, top fin agitated and then charge each other. Saw one nipping on my candy cane after I moved it. Grrrr
Really? Mine are off exploring when they're not herding the chromis and anthias...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my white worms today. The cube fridge in garage is at 50 degrees which might be too cold. We'll see. Might have to get a wine cooler.

Ugh on no3 climbing. I did rake the sandbed yesterday so that might be part of it. Will retest tomorrow as the vial had some discoloration on the inside--a brown/black stain. Po4 still 0. Dosing neophos again. Need to see if I need to vacuum sump again. Will also add some mb7 in morning and turn off uv and skimmer while I go to work. Always afraid stuff won't turn back on!

Tank and corals looking good though. Moved some corals and glued others as I have an urchin coming..

Received my 800 ml voss bottle 3 d printed holders for dosing. Going to replace the big 3 chamber unit with the bottles affixed to the pull out shelf. The guy, at my request also tried the 375 ml size again and was successful, so I ordered that one for the 375 glass bottles for the RS ABCD trace colors. Going to also order a 3d printed trident shelf to move out from under tank to wall. Not sure the test line is long enough for where I want it so it may have to go on other side of tank

Received my AI Fuge prime light replacement. Have to remove the old cords from control board and get the new one set up.

Need to make a list of livestock coming on Tue and what needs acclimated and how and corals dipped. Plan to get everything all ready

Video of tank-fish after lights out. Can't see too many corals but I was just shooting a side view

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also arriving tomorrow from corals Anonymous:
cosmic cloud acan Echinata
wysiwyg yellow green multicolor ricordea florida
mint teal tip alveopora
aussie blue duncan
chaeto
fox coral
orange teal lobo
pink eye circus chalice

Need to get acclimation buckets and dipping containers ready tonight!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always exciting to get some new fish or coral. :)
will have to go visit your thread soon to see what you've added. I now have some bird's nest frags! And some purple montipora digitatis I think. They get broken and I just glue onto new rubble.

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will have to go visit your thread soon to see what you've added. I now have some bird's nest frags! And some purple montipora digitatis I think. They get broken and I just glue onto new rubble.
Hahaha….haven’t been very good about updating my thread, but getting a foxface and lemon peel angel on Wednesday :)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of dilemmas:
1-my no3 is over 30 today yet yesterday it was 9. 25ish before that. Po4 at .02 with dosing neophos and adding some spirilina powder--a pinch. My corals are very happy and even thriving but I'd like no3 to be at least 20 or below. I'm doing small awc's (6% week) as I'm trying to keep the big 3 stable. I've upped the nopox and am going to order nyos zero.

I have an urchin coming tomorrow and they need lower nitrates. Socks changed when they clog, main sump area kept pretty vacuumed out and sand bed kept raked. I did rake 2 days ago but water should be clear by now

2-lighting. When the lights were 70% blue, 3% white I used my apex par meter to check various areas. Lowest 13 and 50 and highest 249. Some of the low readings were due to the head being more sideways. I need to fashion a better wand so it sits flat and pointing up no matter where I put it. I used an old algae scrapper.

Again, corals are happy for the most part. Lots of growth even. Most of the sticks have PE and even the birds nest frags that fell off and are at the bottom are "out". I'm running 75/8 and am thinking I might need just a bit higher, esp whites. I turned them all down when I had a horrid algae. I have a huge cuc arriving tomorrow including an urchin so hopefully they take care of the algae still hanging around. So thinking of going to 80/15 slowly.

good news my ulva in the refuge. has taken off! Harvesting for the fish now. Bought some more baskets, more long and less wide and some ceramic magnets. I'll make a basket for the chaeto as well. This will work I think until I rearrange that 2nd sump

Got my containers ready for fish and invertes and dips out for corals. Tomorrow will be busy! Reading up where to put everything and how to acclimate things like urchins and sea cucumbers!
20220606_210046.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of dilemmas:
1-my no3 is over 30 today yet yesterday it was 9. 25ish before that. Po4 at .02 with dosing neophos and adding some spirilina powder--a pinch. My corals are very happy and even thriving but I'd like no3 to be at least 20 or below. I'm doing small awc's (6% week) as I'm trying to keep the big 3 stable. I've upped the nopox and am going to order nyos zero.

I have an urchin coming tomorrow and they need lower nitrates. Socks changed when they clog, main sump area kept pretty vacuumed out and sand bed kept raked. I did rake 2 days ago but water should be clear by now

2-lighting. When the lights were 70% blue, 3% white I used my apex par meter to check various areas. Lowest 13 and 50 and highest 249. Some of the low readings were due to the head being more sideways. I need to fashion a better wand so it sits flat and pointing up no matter where I put it. I used an old algae scrapper.

Again, corals are happy for the most part. Lots of growth even. Most of the sticks have PE and even the birds nest frags that fell off and are at the bottom are "out". I'm running 75/8 and am thinking I might need just a bit higher, esp whites. I turned them all down when I had a horrid algae. I have a huge cuc arriving tomorrow including an urchin so hopefully they take care of the algae still hanging around. So thinking of going to 80/15 slowly.

good news my ulva in the refuge. has taken off! Harvesting for the fish now. Bought some more baskets, more long and less wide and some ceramic magnets. I'll make a basket for the chaeto as well. This will work I think until I rearrange that 2nd sump

Got my containers ready for fish and invertes and dips out for corals. Tomorrow will be busy! Reading up where to put everything and how to acclimate things like urchins and sea cucumbers!
20220606_210046.jpg
The 9 NO3 was probably a testing error. Don't sweat it. Test three times back to back to back and average the results. 9 or 30 should not be an issue for the urchin. Do you have good surface algae for it to eat? If not you will need to supplement it with some nori.
Don't trust your Neptune PMK PAR meter. Odds are it is greatly under reporting your PAR.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, tomorrow morning, before feeding, I'll run a couple more tests. I have quite a bit of algae starting back up plus coraline and algae on back wall. I'll also rig up a rock that I can rubberband some nori too (wonder if it will snap the band). I also have ulva lettuce that I can try to feed it. Yeah, agree on the par meter. I'll get a better set up and try again Thanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back