Sustaining Berghia Nudibranch in DT?

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago, I had an Aptasia problem that was starting to spread in my 200g system, so I purchased about 10 Berghia. They have been multiplying well and are close to eradicating the Aptasia.

However, I'm concerned that if they miss even the smallest one, and then the Berghia die off, the problem will come right back. Is there anyway to ensure this does not happen?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat only aptasia. To the best of my knowledge, you'd have to farm aptasia to feed a small colony of nudis. I'm not sure what size tanks you'd need to look at, but I'd assume you'd want a large bin of aptasia infested rock and rotate them into a nudi tank as needed, then take nudi-free rock (dried out for a while?) back to the aptasia tank for reinfestation.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago, I had an Aptasia problem that was starting to spread in my 200g system, so I purchased about 10 Berghia. They have been multiplying well and are close to eradicating the Aptasia.

However, I'm concerned that if they miss even the smallest one, and then the Berghia die off, the problem will come right back. Is there anyway to ensure this does not happen?
If there's aipstatia, there will always be small ones available to keep some Berghia Nudibranchs alive, but not all. They will stay and live in the DT doing maintenance aipstatia removal. At least this is what happens in my tank, others maybe different. I don't mind having a handful of aipstatia to keep some Berghia Nudibranchs alive, but that's just me

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's aipstatia, there will always be small ones available to keep some Berghia Nudibranchs alive, but not all. They will stay and live in the DT doing maintenance aipstatia removal. At least this is what happens in my tank, others maybe different. I don't mind having a handful of aipstatia to keep some Berghia Nudibranchs alive, but that's just me
What size is your tank? I have a 200+g, and while the Nudibranches have nearly eradicated the Aptasia, I can still see little ones popping up on the rocks and even back wall and return nozzles, although I haven't seen many Nudibranches in the past several nights. I'm hopeful they'll stay around in at least small enough numbers that they can balance out with the Aptasia....and is why I have not been killing the Aptasia as it's popping up. Guess only time will tell!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? I have a 200+g, and while the Nudibranches have nearly eradicated the Aptasia, I can still see little ones popping up on the rocks and even back wall and return nozzles, although I haven't seen many Nudibranches in the past several nights. I'm hopeful they'll stay around in at least small enough numbers that they can balance out with the Aptasia....and is why I have not been killing the Aptasia as it's popping up. Guess only time will tell!
Actually I haven't seen any in a few weeks, aipstatia is slowly coming back... hopefully I just can't see them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back