Swap lights during the day or after lights out?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

So I just purchased a used Prime HD (not the 16) and I plan to ditch my knockoff "reef" light today. Should lights be swapped during the day or after lights out? I'm busting at the seams to get this up and running. Actually here's the quick backstory because the Prime is already running as of this morning.

I received the Prime a couple days ago and after getting the required hardware so I could attach it to my old light's mount I managed to get it all swapped out last night (after lights out) only to find the previous owner still hadn't removed it from their account even though that was the first thing I asked of them. I discovered this trying to add the light to myAI and couldn't. I emailed the previous owner last night but didn't expect to hear anything back until at least today. In the meantime I managed to get into a crude scheduling interface by connecting to the light directly so I setup a schedule to see if it would work. It does and it came on this morning but there's too much white so I want to change it. As it happens I just heard from the previous owner and the light has been removed from his account. I plan to do a reset and start again so my question is can I do this now or should I wait until lights out?

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimmy Fallon Laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
wait until lights out. when you setup your new light schedule make sure to put it in acclimation mode as well as set the levels a bit lower to help adjust.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best option is to make sure the PAR levels and spectrum are set as close to the existing lights as possible. If you have access to a PAR meter from a local reefing club it'd be best to borrow it and test the new light after you have the spectrum setup. If there's not a local club available BRS does rent them. As for when to swap once all the levels are a match or as close as you can get then it's entirely up to you but I'd run the acclimation on period on the new lights for at least 2 weeks and set the starting reduction power by 10-15%.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it anytime, the biggest concern would be to not have it too intense compared to the old light. Be sure to run in acclimation mode for at least 14 days, 30 would be recommended.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait until lights out. when you setup your new light schedule make sure to put it in acclimation mode as well as set the levels a bit lower to help adjust.
Thanks for this! What is a good setting for acclimation mode? I was able to do enable this in the light's interface and left it at the default of 50% (I'm assuming that's the start point) until Feb 1st. When it got to full intensity at noon today it seems really bright for 50%. I had forgotten I even set this so now I'm thinking maybe 30%?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for this! What is a good setting for acclimation mode? I was able to do enable this in the light's interface and left it at the default of 50% (I'm assuming that's the start point) until Feb 1st. When it got to full intensity at noon today it seems really bright for 50%. I had forgotten I even set this so now I'm thinking maybe 30%?
30% is a good start.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it anytime, the biggest concern would be to not have it too intense compared to the old light. Be sure to run in acclimation mode for at least 14 days, 30 would be recommended.
Thanks for this! I enabled acclimation mode in the light's interface and left it at the default 50%. That seems really bright but it could be because there's so much white. Maybe I should do 30%? I mentioned this in a previous reply. I'm curious as to what folks do. The tiny GSP seems to love all the white (which could be a bad thing). It seems to have doubled since yesterday. Haha.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it, love it! Running the Saxby in acclimation mode right now. Wish I had picked up this light (or at least a proper reef light) from the beginning. I might've spared a couple corals from a withering demise.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back