3B015703-FD0A-435F-B5A6-6778B6DC09BC.jpeg

Dried up coral snow dust, lol

Curiousbranching

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one confusing part here is when you say whenever you run out of n/p algae’s grow more. I think there’s something else at play if that is the case for you. I would suspect the 0 nutrients are maybe from dinos starting to take hold in that particular environment. Dinos suck the n/p out of a system faster than any other biological method I’ve seen. Except maybe carbon dosing

For me, if my no3 gets over 20 or my PO4 gets over .10, I see a noticeable progression of GHA growth. When I keep my numbers lower, it’s a lot slower process
That's right, at first I doubted myself if I had made the wrong measurement but it always happened. I would guess that maintaining a relatively constant amount of NP or maybe at the current stage of my tank when the nutrient input and output levels are just right has helped the probiotics compete better against the algae.
Ok wait a second..
You say that is you see more film on your glass (what means you have to clean your glass more often) and maybe on the backwalls etc. means that your NP is low? So with higher NP you have to clean less? Sounds interesting!
Ever since my no3 is lower (4-8) I have to clean my glass daily…. And this was not the case when it was higher.
Yes, it seems our case is similar.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You all have talked me into it, i ordered some rebiotic. My one frag tank and the systems plumbed into it are doing great. But my display has never been the same since i had a power outage and partial crash (lost almost all the acros and about half the fish but saved the rest) so we will see if this can revive my display. most acros stay alive in it but they don't thrive, almost no PE and super slow growth. I also have a newer frag system that has never really clicked with my acros, so i have two test systems to try it out on.

This product seems a little similar to a product i used years ago called reef bugs, was a brown powder that you had to hydrate and let activate. was supossed to feed coral and suport the reef bacteria/biome. Though at the time i was not really that informed on the details of what it was or how it worked.

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You all have talked me into it, i ordered some rebiotic. My one frag tank and the systems plumbed into it are doing great. But my display has never been the same since i had a power outage and partial crash (lost almost all the acros and about half the fish but saved the rest) so we will see if this can revive my display. most acros stay alive in it but they don't thrive, almost no PE and super slow growth. I also have a newer frag system that has never really clicked with my acros, so i have two test systems to try it out on.

This product seems a little similar to a product i used years ago called reef bugs, was a brown powder that you had to hydrate and let activate. was supossed to feed coral and suport the reef bacteria/biome. Though at the time i was not really that informed on the details of what it was or how it worked.
I’m glad you’re getting in on this Joe. I’m anxious to see how it works for you.

I will say, I did 2 different things at the same time so I really can’t 100% say that the improvement I am seeing is solely from ReBiotic. I purchased a large cup of Florida Keys offshore sand (at least that’s what it is advertised as) and placed that in a low flow area of my sump. I would have to think that wouldn’t have an immediate impact on acro health vs the ReBiotic dosing. But I could be wrong.

Keep us updated on the progress Joe!

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
2nd week update on the ReBiotic bacteria dosing. I am now 4 doses in as of yesterday. Below is a side by side of the CB OMG I mentioned before. The left pic was taken Wednesday 7-26. You can still see a partial burnt tip but it’s healing. Today, 4 days later you can’t even tell the frag ever had a burnt tip and base recession. It’s fully healed and looks to have restarted growth from the base.
00AE9853-0FC2-4FE1-A4B4-937568868250.jpeg

The other test frags are now at day 7 and they are all retaining color and PE with no discoloring or tip burn. In fact I damaged a tip in one frag and it appears to be healing but I am not 100% positive. I’ll post another pic in a few days. Things are definitely looking toward a better direction.

So I wanted to also mention a crazy side effect I’m seeing in this system. As I’ve mentioned before, this system has always vigorously processed PO4 at an astonishing rate. I will test PO4 at .03 in the morning. I’ll feed each tank a pinch of Spectrum pellets. I’ll also generally dose an average of about 3-5mL of NeoPhos and/or dose reef roids/reef chili at about 10am. At 5pm I will feed my home made mix, unstrained, of frozen krill and mysis, Nori, roids, crushed pellets. The PO4 will generally test ,03-.05 the following day. If I did this to my main system which is 3X more water volume I would see PO4 go thru the roof in a matter of days. Well since I started dosing the Rebiotic, the crazy PO4 consumption has stopped and is now mimicking my main (healthy) system. The last 4 days PO4 numbers from the oldest to today are .11, .10, .12, .15! I strained the frozen mix today so I’m anxious to test tomorrow morning. I really have no idea how this is happening other than the probiotic bacteria is maybe outcompeting the bacteria that consume PO4. I have always thought that the bacteria that consumed nitrate and PO4 were anaerobic. I guess I have to rethink that premise because I really don’t have any anaerobic zones in this system. Its fully bare bottom. Both tanks and sump.

So all in all I am seeing some very positive movement in this backup system and I really hope all these problems will be a thing of the past very soon.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experiencing similar things with nutrients, I replied to @drawman with PO4 not depleting, yet a reversal, as to where it's growing, and to keep a tight window, I am using 2 drops of LC to maintain previous day value. I believe what I am seeing, which could be similar to your scenario, is laden or consumed nutrients, being converted. So your test kit is showing this, yet, in my situation, the rock seems to be getting cleaner, literally watching layers peeling of the rocks. That said, it makes sense, they were tugging PO4 that dosing was required, with low test values. But as soon as the Re-biotic begins to address the underlying problem, now the rock and micro-organisms have homing potential in the rock, given that whatever is clogging it, is now being unclogged, the free-floating bacteria when dosing, then seeds these surfaces. Not scientific, just what an old pair of eyes see. If the same is happening, my N03 is also growing, not by a lot, but is. I believe it's stable, it's the P04 driving it's tested value.

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With great disappointment I have to report that the ReBiotic did not fix the SPS problems in my backup system. After 3 weeks of dosing the test frags were all drastically discolored and 2 of them were showing burnt tips and all had no growth. Even the CB OMG that had healed started showing tip issues again. Just to be sure it wasn’t just a matter of not giving the ReBiotic time to work, I added a Red Dragon and a Sarmentosa. The Red Dragon RTN’d within 2 days and the Sarmentosa is alive but pretty pale.
99EB1612-7B0D-41F3-90B3-184051CB43F6.jpeg
EF5A26ED-D5BA-4B6D-803A-1D8153AD5B8E.jpeg

The only positives I have seen from the ReBiotic is with shrooms, torches and gonis that are in that system. They seem happier with a bit more color. But, that could be a result of the ReBiotic stabilizing my PO4. The system PO4 is acting more like the main system now.

Since my last report, I’ve been quite busy. I was able to get my hands on a new frag tank! 8’x2’x10”
Unfortunately it will need a little work. There was an insufficient glue leak in one corner and the previous owner had globbed what I believe is Weld-On on all the seams as if it were silicone. Our UV lighting did not treat that glue very well and it cracked all over the place allowing water in. That water allowed algae to grow in that little space between the glue and acrylic making the seem look really bad on the outside looking in. So I painstakingly dremeled all of that Weld-On out of the seems as well as the algae pockets. I am going to properly glue 1/4” square acrylic dowels all the way around the bottom and up the seams. This should solve the leak issue as well as reinforce the tank.

3EC1255B-9E41-4389-BF2A-1599F8226C03.jpeg

I’m super stoked to have the opportunity to build a new system. I think I’m going to setup a whole new massive layout in the basement thst will end up being 3 peninsulas….. 8’, 7’ and 6’. I’ll get all the plumbing ready and in place while this tank is cycling/seeding bacteria with the new sump.

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome new tank!

It is so weird that you're still having the weird acro issues. Will you still continue to use the rebiotic? It seems like there is something actively killing the corals if they wither away at that pace. Hopefully it will work itself out soon!

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Awesome new tank!

It is so weird that you're still having the weird acro issues. Will you still continue to use the rebiotic? It seems like there is something actively killing the corals if they wither away at that pace. Hopefully it will work itself out soon!
Ya, it sucks. I was really hoping the ReBiotic and Zeolite media would turn things around:confused-face:
It’s quite baffling. The interceptor really screwed something up

At this point I am just going to let the system ride with shrooms and LPS until I’ve got that new tank/system in the basement ready for corals. At that point I will empty the backup system out, clean it and let it all dry out before moving it to the basement and connecting it to the new system.

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dang Jesse,
That grow out tank is killer brother!
I am sorry to hear about your situation, hopefully you get things dialed back in soon :)
Keep the updates flowing :)
Thank Perry! Looking forward to the new build, but it’s going to take some time. I am in the process of getting a shed built so I can move all my yard equipment to it. Then I will move my golf sim setup out of the basement and to the garage which will free up the basement for the new build. Whew…lots of work on the horizon on top of getting my SRC website finished and all my colonies photographed and uploaded….

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do I need to come help?

corey
Hey buddy! When I’ve got the garage emptied you’ll have to come by and give me some ideas on the sim ;)

As bad as my game was the last 2 times I went out, I don’t even know why I am bothering lol. I guess they call that determination….or stubbornness :face-with-tears-of-joy:

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant come help with the tanks! Haha

we all play bad sometimes. I am just getting back in town for good. let’s set something up to go play, at least 9 holes. Beavercreek, Reid park, locust hills, Springfield country club. Anywhere man. Talk golf and reef. Plus it’ll give me a reason to come see the set up and drool! Hahaha

corey

OP
OP
Sweet Reef Corals

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I meant come help with the tanks! Haha

we all play bad sometimes. I am just getting back in town for good. let’s set something up to go play, at least 9 holes. Beavercreek, Reid park, locust hills, Springfield country club. Anywhere man. Talk golf and reef. Plus it’ll give me a reason to come see the set up and drool! Hahaha

corey
You’re welcome any time Corey!

As for playing I think I’m just gonna be practicing for a while. When I started incorporating the wrist hinge, I started some weird twist with my wrist that’s causing me to pull everything left. Hitting it A lot further than I was, but bad left. I’m working on that and trying to shallow more. As you know, nothing comes easy in that game lol

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
cant get my palmers to grow. I have had a frag for at least a couple years, almost no growth. I have CC tranquil milli, that looks similar, and at least that one is growing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back