SWIM BLADDER ISSUE with no easy access to medication

gizmodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a purple firefish with a possible swim bladder issue as seen in countless other threads. It's seems like a mild case. Tail at a 45 degree angle all the way to the entire fish sometimes being on it's side. The fish has ,strangely, increased coloration since adoption (9 days as of this post) with deep colors, no spots or rot or anything of that matter.It poops once or twice a day. there is occasional rapid breathing and fin movement. As of typing this the fish is in a pvc pipe shelter in qt resting on the top inner side of it with very regular breathing and tail/fin movement. An overall healthy looking fish with no signs of stress or illness other than described. it will even sometimes come out and swim to catch food almost perfectly upright.

I've tried increasing feeding, decreasing feeding, adding airstones in the qt on top of a sponge filter. Also, I increased water changes, vacuumed up waste right away, dosing nitrifying bacteria after every water change (twice a week at 10%). I'm a bit hesitant about peas but it's next in line.

No medications are allowed to be sold at an LFS (welcome to stupid governments 101). So i have to somehow get to a vet before our COVID curfew during lockdown when working 11hrs a day (NOT likely). I'm wondering what you guys might have to say before having to take a half day to go cunsult with a vet. My DT currently only has inverts and coral with no fish. I was wondering as a last ditch effort if i should place him in a tank with superior filtration, more places to hide and phytoplankton dosing (a hypothesized food source).
QT water: Salinity 1.025 on a calibrated and verified refractometer as of 2021-01-17. No3 @ 4.1-4.5 , PO4 @ 0.04 to 0.07 , Ammonia 0, temp 78 +/- 1.5* . QT Tank is 1 month old and stable.

DT water: 1.025, NO3 4.4 constant (dosing no3) ,po4 0.05 (dosing po4), ammonia 0, sllica 0, alk ??, Calcium ??, mag ?? temp 78*F +/- 0.5*f. DT is 4 months old, parameters that are uknown are testkits that have run out of reagent and waiting on shipping (COVID)

RODI @ 0TDS

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard the pea thing is more of a freshwater deal. Have you tried holding the fish vertically (head pointed up) and massaging it's belly to coax out any air bubbles? I usually take more of a wait and see approach but that's something you could try

OP
OP
G

gizmodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard the pea thing is more of a freshwater deal. Have you tried holding the fish vertically (head pointed up) and massaging it's belly to coax out any air bubbles? I usually take more of a wait and see approach but that's something you could try
I'm a bit nervous with such a small fish. I did however see some air bubble come out of his mouth when he swam up for food today. i dont how to do it without hurting such a small delicate fish

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit nervous with such a small fish. I did however see some air bubble come out of his mouth when he swam up for food today. i dont how to do it without hurting such a small delicate fish
Ya I hear you, I would be too. Oh hey I almost forgot, welcome to the club!
welcome captain GIF

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a purple firefish with a possible swim bladder issue as seen in countless other threads. It's seems like a mild case. Tail at a 45 degree angle all the way to the entire fish sometimes being on it's side. The fish has ,strangely, increased coloration since adoption (9 days as of this post) with deep colors, no spots or rot or anything of that matter.It poops once or twice a day. there is occasional rapid breathing and fin movement. As of typing this the fish is in a pvc pipe shelter in qt resting on the top inner side of it with very regular breathing and tail/fin movement. An overall healthy looking fish with no signs of stress or illness other than described. it will even sometimes come out and swim to catch food almost perfectly upright.

I've tried increasing feeding, decreasing feeding, adding airstones in the qt on top of a sponge filter. Also, I increased water changes, vacuumed up waste right away, dosing nitrifying bacteria after every water change (twice a week at 10%). I'm a bit hesitant about peas but it's next in line.

No medications are allowed to be sold at an LFS (welcome to stupid governments 101). So i have to somehow get to a vet before our COVID curfew during lockdown when working 11hrs a day (NOT likely). I'm wondering what you guys might have to say before having to take a half day to go cunsult with a vet. My DT currently only has inverts and coral with no fish. I was wondering as a last ditch effort if i should place him in a tank with superior filtration, more places to hide and phytoplankton dosing (a hypothesized food source).
QT water: Salinity 1.025 on a calibrated and verified refractometer as of 2021-01-17. No3 @ 4.1-4.5 , PO4 @ 0.04 to 0.07 , Ammonia 0, temp 78 +/- 1.5* . QT Tank is 1 month old and stable.

DT water: 1.025, NO3 4.4 constant (dosing no3) ,po4 0.05 (dosing po4), ammonia 0, sllica 0, alk ??, Calcium ??, mag ?? temp 78*F +/- 0.5*f. DT is 4 months old, parameters that are uknown are testkits that have run out of reagent and waiting on shipping (COVID)

RODI @ 0TDS
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you post a short video taken under white light? It might help us get a better handle on the severity of the problem.
As said, using peas is something they do with fancy goldfish, it won’t work in this case. Same thing if you hear about Epsom salts, that’s a freshwater treatment also.
Jay

OP
OP
G

gizmodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you post a short video taken under white light? It might help us get a better handle on the severity of the problem.
As said, using peas is something they do with fancy goldfish, it won’t work in this case. Same thing if you hear about Epsom salts, that’s a freshwater treatment also.
Jay

Attachments

• 20210117_105716.mp4
    23.1 MB
  • received_451461566010319.mp4
    479.1 KB
OP
OP
G

gizmodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish cycling between these two states (even without human interaction). the front dorsal fin has damage from always hitting up the top of the pipe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food are you feeding it? It looks a little skinny to me, not in the belly so much,, but top down. One thing you could try is to reduce the specific gravity. If you drop it to 1.021 or even 1.020, the fish will be naturally less buoyant.

Jay

OP
OP
G

gizmodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First couple of days I was feeding Hikari Mysis Shrimp, LRS Reef Frenzy Nano, and some phytoplankton. I was worried about filtration since nutrients levels started to come up so I tried just Hakari and LRS. When I could feed twice on weekends I would. Now I'm just on LRS. I could try going back to the LRS and Hakari and even eventually the plankton too. I'll try a hyposalinity environment at 1.020. I'll come up with a safe way to do it slowly on my small QT system.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowering salinity on marine fish doesn’t have to be done as slowly as people realize, it is raising the salinity back up that must be done very slowly. You could easily make this drop in 24 hours with 2 or 3 small changes. I’m not sure you will see much benefit, but without access to meds, I can’t think of much else.
Jay

OP
OP
G

gizmodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came home today and he was swimming fine as I watched him from far. But as soon as I got close he went back to swimming like he's too buoyant. At lunch I called 20 vets and none are equipped or able to treat fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came home today and he was swimming fine as I watched him from far. But as soon as I got close he went back to swimming like he's too buoyant. At lunch I called 20 vets and none are equipped or able to treat fish
I have no doubt you can't find a fish vet, they are few and far between - most deal with koi, or they work in the Florida fish farms.

So - I'm wondering if some of what you are seeing is the fish being stressed by your presence? Bare QT are not happy places for small cryptic fish like this, it may just be freaking out when there are people around. Always try to view your fish from a dim room, they can't see you are well. Also, you can set up a cell phone to video your tank and then leave the room. Replay it and see if the fish acts like that when nobody is in the room.

Jay

OP
OP
G

gizmodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I took a big risk and put him alone in the DT. He's as happy as can be. Feisty, nips at me when cleaning, suprisingly aggressive feeder and he swims so calmly in the water. I'm hoping it was the fact the qt was so barren compared to caves, corals and food varieties. He's even designated his dart hole. The video below is him just minding his business. I had just put some frozen food in a few minutes prior to the video.

Attachments

• received_414849213154151.mp4
    1 MB

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back