Switched to Fritz RPM salt

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to the pro fritz and on my second box.
My tank has had really high MG... just tested and its 1700 ppm.
Tested my fresh batch of Fritz and it's 2000 ppm. ;Wideyed

I've also been using Fritz for awhile now and the few times I've tested mag in my tank it's been 1600+...maybe due to the salt? I haven't tested the freshly mixed saltwater though. I have been perplexed as to why my mag stays so high though.

OP
OP
Fishon

Fishon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been liking Fritz since I switched but I recently opened a new box and for some reason this salt is not mixing clear at all. It's staying quite cloudy. Nothing has changed RODI unit still pumping out 0 TDS. Anyone else having this issue? I am going to be running some test on this batch tonight.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any time you have issues with salt mix is contact the Manufacturer. I'm using reef crystals currently but may switch to fritz pro soon. The box of RC I was using to start my tank last week was cloudy for 3 days so I contacted them with the batch info. I also had another unopened box that I tested and it mixed clear. Contacted IO and they're sending me a new box for my troubles.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been liking Fritz since I switched but I recently opened a new box and for some reason this salt is not mixing clear at all. It's staying quite cloudy. Nothing has changed RODI unit still pumping out 0 TDS. Anyone else having this issue? I am going to be running some test on this batch tonight.
Just make sure you aren't heating the water before or while you are mixing. Also mix slowly. I use a 150gph pump to mix mine in a 5 gallon bucket. Once you hit desired salinity you then can start heating the water.

OP
OP
Fishon

Fishon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any time you have issues with salt mix is contact the Manufacturer. I'm using reef crystals currently but may switch to fritz pro soon. The box of RC I was using to start my tank last week was cloudy for 3 days so I contacted them with the batch info. I also had another unopened box that I tested and it mixed clear. Contacted IO and they're sending me a new box for my troubles.
Yea I've gone threw close to 10 boxes of Fritz and never had this issue, nothing has changed. I will reach out to Fritz.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you aren't heating the water before or while you are mixing. Also mix slowly. I use a 150gph pump to mix mine in a 5 gallon bucket. Once you hit desired salinity you then can start heating the water.

Doesn't temperature of the water affect salinity readings? If you mix without heating the water do you then adjust as needed after it's heated?

Seems to me it's more efficient to heat and mix at the same time depending on volume I guess. If you're only doing say 5g at a time it will heat pretty quickly.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you are wrong. Temperature will affect salinity just not on a large scale and it’s nothing to worry about
Temperature affects specific gravity not salinity.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the water is moving, low temperature will not affect an ATC refractometer. Because the water doesn't get a chance to separate warm water from cooler water. Therefore we don't see a density change that would affect the specific gravity. Measuring salinity is the measurement of concentration. Hot or cold, the amount of salt remains the same.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specific gravity is what most of us actually measure.
I would say S.G. is what most of us translate our refractive index as. Unless everyone is using a hydrometer, I would say salinity is measured more so than S.G. The conversion is sound. On a ATC refractometer, the temperature is adjusted.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my first box of Fritz. Gonna do my first WC with it this coming weekend. We'll see...

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature affects specific gravity not salinity.
Ok, I should have said specific gravity, as that is what/how we measure the amount of salt in our water.

That being said, I have not actually taken a reading with my refractometer of water warmed to tank temp and water at room temp. I just had recalled it being said temp does indeed affect specific gravity. Which, is still true, though perhaps not important for our application.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I should have said specific gravity, as that is what/how we measure the amount of salt in our water.

That being said, I have not actually taken a reading with my refractometer of water warmed to tank temp and water at room temp. I just had recalled it being said temp does indeed affect specific gravity. Which, is still true, though perhaps not important for our application.
In our hobby it's a minuscule difference. Mainly because water coming out of the rodi is closer to room temperature. Most of our reef tools are acclimated to room temp as well. I find refractive index to be more accurate in measurement and with a ATC refractometer, we shouldn't worry about temps. All that said, Fritz asks we mix our salt at room temp between 70-75 degs. The water coming from my RODI is 72 degs. I've never seen a difference in SG between 72 deg and 77 deg.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In our hobby it's a minuscule difference. Mainly because water coming out of the rodi is closer to room temperature. Most of our reef tools are acclimated to room temp as well. I find refractive index to be more accurate in measurement and with a ATC refractometer, we shouldn't worry about temps. All that said, Fritz asks we mix our salt at room temp between 70-75 degs. The water coming from my RODI is 72 degs. I've never seen a difference in SG between 72 deg and 77 deg.
I should see what temp the water is coming out of my RODI, I am positive it's colder than 72. Will be a good experiment. though, I have typically mixed my Fritz while heating to tank temp and don't have clouding or other issues. Alk will drop if left heating/mixing for several days, as is the case with most salts.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should see what temp the water is coming out of my RODI, I am positive it's colder than 72. Will be a good experiment. though, I have typically mixed my Fritz while heating to tank temp and don't have clouding or other issues. Alk will drop if left heating/mixing for several days, as is the case with most salts.
Before hearing about this, I inadvertently left a mixed bucket run for 24 hours. At 1.025 after 24 hours, my box tested at 9.5dkh. For that range, it's high IMO for fritz. But respectively would have welcomed a drop in alk. I didn't see one.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before hearing about this, I inadvertently left a mixed bucket run for 24 hours. At 1.025 after 24 hours, my box tested at 9.5dkh. For that range, it's high IMO for fritz. But respectively would have welcomed a drop in alk. I didn't see one.

I thought it was supposed to mix closer to 8-8.5? I've also heard of some with high Mag lately, like 1600+. My Mag has been continually high so I wonder if it's the Fritz. I switched to Fritz for the lower alk level. Will have to watch that.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was supposed to mix closer to 8-8.5? I've also heard of some with high Mag lately, like 1600+. My Mag has been continually high so I wonder if it's the Fritz. I switched to Fritz for the lower alk level. Will have to watch that.
I've yet to find a salt that shows exactly what the printed label says. I've switched from TMPR to Red Sea Blue and now Fritz. The mag on my box is 1450. Little higher but coming from a bucket that gave me 1200 mag., I save on mag supplements. Plus, I'm running high nutrients now. Po4 - .150ppm NO3 at 8-10ppm

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back