Switched to Fritz RPM salt

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd exchange it for a new box.. i won't tolerate that anymore. Happened to me with TMPR, then got 1200 with red sea blue bucket. But my box of Fritz is giving me 1385 consistently.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm here, I'll update this too.
I've yet to find a salt that shows exactly what the printed label says. I've switched from TMPR to Red Sea Blue and now Fritz. The mag on my box is 1450. Little higher but coming from a bucket that gave me 1200 mag., I save on mag supplements. Plus, I'm running high nutrients now. Po4 - .150ppm NO3 at 8-10ppm

I guess, I didn't mix my "older" box up as well as I thought. Mixed at 1.026 alk is 8.5 and mag is 1385 and ca 370. ;Blackeye

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd exchange it for a new box.. i won't tolerate that anymore. Happened to me with TMPR, then got 1200 with red sea blue bucket. But my box of Fritz is giving me 1385 consistently.
I emailed them to see what they'd do. I'm honestly starting to look at aquavitro salinity and just adding some HCl and degassing to lower the alk.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them to see what they'd do. I'm honestly starting to look at aquavitro salinity and just adding some HCl and degassing to lower the alk.
Was your box of fritz the individual packages or the whole bag box?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole bag it seems.
I would hold out for a response. I to have the whole bag because my lfs was selling this box for $45. For me that's a great value. However, the new boxes were split into individual pouches to reduce element separation. So, hopefully Fritz can explain that to you and send you a new box. For $45-60 a box I wouldn't give up on it yet. Now, if it's $100 a box, is it worth the price for inconsistent numbers? I think not. Though thats not in reference to aqua vitro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one every got back to me on my bad batch.
I even had my LFS mix some up and test at his shop and he got 1700 Mg as well.
He reported it to them and also never heard back.
Hrm, I'm seeing a trend here. What did you switch to Dennis?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hrm, I'm seeing a trend here. What did you switch to Dennis?
Yep, i posted back in this thread (i think) a few weeks ago. Several of my local reefers had the same problem.
Fritz was in on the conversation, too. Some people were able to post batch #'s. Didn't seem to matter though. Their own test results differed. :rolleyes:

I always seem to go back to Salinity. It's the higher end in price, but in 5+ years of using it I never had a problem.
But right now I'm using a bucket of Red Sea... the blue bucket, not the Pro. I just want NSW parameters, nothing elevated. My mag in my tank is stuck at 1600-1650 ppm.
The red sea is cheaper (same reason i tried Fritz) than Salinity so figured I'd give it a shot.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, i posted back in this thread (i think) a few weeks ago. Several of my local reefers had the same problem.
Fritz was in on the conversation, too. Some people were able to post batch #'s. Didn't seem to matter though. Their own test results differed. :rolleyes:

I always seem to go back to Salinity. It's the higher end in price, but in 5+ years of using it I never had a problem.
But right now I'm using a bucket of Red Sea... the blue bucket, not the Pro. I just want NSW parameters, nothing elevated. My mag in my tank is stuck at 1600-1650 ppm.
The red sea is cheaper (same reason i tried Fritz) than Salinity so figured I'd give it a shot.

I've used the blue bucket before but it was back when things weren't well in my previous tank so I don't really have much of a comment on it. It will probably be either red sea or salinity for me, especially if fritz isn't going to fess up to this.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just noticed the red sea is $74 for a 175gal bucket at BRS. I think my lfs sells the 225gal salinity bucket for like 90-100... seems like it's about even.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed the red sea is $74 for a 175gal bucket at BRS. I think my lfs sells the 225gal salinity bucket for like 90-100... seems like it's about even.
Yeah, its not a big diff. My LFS didn't have retail buckets, they had commercial bags so it was a little cheaper.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is concerning about Fritz customer service. I'll keep that in consideration. Sorry you guys are dealing with this.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is concerning about Fritz customer service. I'll keep that in consideration. Sorry you guys are dealing with this.
Yea, doesn't look like this is going anywhere. Guess I'll go with salinity from now on.

upload_2017-8-14_13-55-45.png

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we can convince more that this salt is bad, maybe it'll be cheaper for the rest of us? :D

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the "Salinity" for over a year.
The "Salinity" mixes with a grayish matter in it and the ph can dive on you with that mix.

Other then those two things, it's a great mix. :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one every got back to me on my bad batch.
I even had my LFS mix some up and test at his shop and he got 1700 Mg as well.
He reported it to them and also never heard back.
d2mini,
You got a box that's mixing to 1700 mag?

And Fritz wont respond?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d2mini,
You got a box that's mixing to 1700 mag?

And Fritz wont respond?
Yes, 1700 ppm. They responded, but nothing came of it. I even went as far as to drop off a dry sample of the salt and a sample of my RO/DI water at my LFS who has a really good relationship with them.
My LFS mixed it up and got the same results. I never heard back.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back