Switched to Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt-- so why the low Alk and Calcium??

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe TMP is designed to mix at 7DKH. Which mine does which I test via Red sea. It's almost always spot on. I dose AFR. I believe this system is designed to let you dial in DKH as you see fit
Thanks so much for the response. So are you supplementally dosing your freshly mixed TMP saltwater prior to pumping back into your tank--assuming you maintain dKH >7.0?

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the response. So are you supplementally dosing your freshly mixed TMP saltwater prior to pumping back into your tank--assuming you maintain dKH >7.0?
I supplement 2x per day. On water change day I do the first dose as soon as the water is changed. I have a small system that's newer so demand is pretty low ATM but I'm maintaining 8.2dkh. I imagine on a larger system dosing the fresh mix would help stop the alk swings depending on the size of the WC

JK2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt mix should have a alkalinity of between 7 and 8 dkh. These are the target numbers for that mix.

@Joshua Warne What do you mean that "Also, brs doesn’t mix their salt. "?
Tried my first batch - TMP - in Australia and I get around 6.4 dkH with Red Sea Pro test kit. Would this be still considered normal? I don't think it would be safe for acros

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried my first batch - TMP - in Australia and I get around 6.4 dkH with Red Sea Pro test kit. Would this be still considered normal? I don't think it would be safe for acros

Welcome to Reef to Reef!

Much of the coral in the world's oceans experiences that alk, so I don't think the alk would be considered unsafe, but its likely a fine plan to raise it a bit. :)

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a new batch of mixed salt, this is a normal range for TMP. I have results from 6.4 to 7.0 when i mix a new batch

JK2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef to Reef!

Much of the coral in the world's oceans experiences that alk, so I don't think the alk would be considered unsafe, but its likely a fine plan to raise it a bit. :)
Cheers Randy!
I see.. It got me little concerned as my sps show mesentrial filaments when light turns on in the morning and vice versa at night. Which I thought it was possibly due to the Ph swing.

JK2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a new batch of mixed salt, this is a normal range for TMP. I have results from 6.4 to 7.0 when i mix a new batch
Right! Thanks for the info :)
I hoped this salt would help to maintain at 8dKh. Maybe I will try red sea alkalinity

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! Thanks for the info :)
I hoped this salt would help to maintain at 8dKh. Maybe I will try red sea alkalinity
If you wish to raise Alkalinity only, simply use Baking Soda (like Arm & Hammer brand from the supermarket)

To calculate the amount to use the following calculator may be used.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah right, thanks heaps for that! I have a food grade one with added corn starch (1%). Guess starch wouldnt hurt
You want plain baking soda with no additives if you plan on using it long term for Alkalinity maintenance.

I think that the starch may have an effect similar to that of dosing organic carbon, and is probably not significant given the amount you are likely to be using as an adjustment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back