Switching from canister to sump

Reefer Kev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello gang, this is my first post. I have a 50 gal column mixed reef that’s over a year old. I’ve been running a HOB skimmer and Egeim 2217 can filter. I have an Eshopps R100 sump now, Marine pure bio spheres, and 5lb of mineral mud. I plan on running the can filter while I get the sump going, or should I just take the media and put it in the sump with the mud and bio spheres?
What’s the best way to go go about this? I also have a new Eshopps in sump skimmer that I’m going to use.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First #WelcometoR2R !!! Tell us more about your tank - do you have live rock and how much? How often do you currently clean your canister filter (meaning do you use it for biological filtration or just mechanical filtration)? How heavy is the existing bio-load (# and types of fishes, heavy feedings, etc.)? What you are wanting to do is very reasonable, but you don't want to pull to much biological filtration off line all at once. My general recommendation would be to run the canister and sump simultaneously for a month or two.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back